Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

- John Donne

vamsterdam

Re: RMG1883CC

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm

i did not know ron has MS. it is sad to read of his passing. my little brother has MS, Sarcoidosis, and arthritis. he is gradually losing his eyesight. he can no longer work, and spends as much time with his wife as possible, building legos(he is THE lego man), and working in his woodshop. i have not been able to visit him since 2019. with COVID10, people with MS have to be far more careful and it is very hard on them being isolated from others. It is also hard on the spouses, as they end up stressing out watching their spouse going down hill, and knowing that they will lose them some day, and never knowing when. it is then hard for the rest of the family too, as they watch them slowly slip away. if you know anyone with MS, call them, text them, email them, and spend time with them however you can, because they will one day be gone. rekindle memories, you will be happy you did .

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Reflections of Ron as I knew him.

Ron was exceptional. He was known for riding the rear wheel of a motorcycle for blocks at a time. He was known for pitching a no hitter. In fact, he was recruited into major league baseball. Kansas City I think.

Ron married his childhood affection; Linda. As it became more and more apparent that Ron was near the end of his life, his concern was focused on Linda’s well being more so than is own death. Ron requested a few members of VAMWorld to be on standby to help Linda. Ron is survived by their children and grandchildren. He recently entertained moving to Florida to be near to his grandchildren. Ron was extremely shaken by recent hurricanes that affected the Tampa area.

Ron lived on a lake shore in Michigan. There was a mooring pier for his 70’s era houseboat. I referred to this boat as a “party boat.” Ron was was not appreciative of my party boat reference. The boat was used for fishing and for ferrying Ron across the lake to his hunting grounds. He was an archer. Earlier, when Ron was more seaworthy, he cherished a powerful open water hull.

Ron and Linda hosted the annual family reunion in their backyard. I had a standing invitation and regret having not attended. Ron’s mother and father died in past five years. As I remember, Ron made it possible for his father to be at his mother’s bedside as she died. Ron was the glue of his family. He had the responsibility for getting the family through this difficult time. Ron was strongly oriented toward family. Thus, in recent years, Morgan studies came second.

After a decades hiatus, I returned to collecting Morgan silver dollars in 2012. I was not a “VAMmer.” I got hooked on VAMming in early 2013. I was collecting raw silver dollars. My second thread on VAMWorld asked for help to attribute an 1883-O coin. Nate came to my rescue by walking me through to a VAM-14 attribution. Ron was following along.
I was convinced that there was a clashed E on the VAM-14. Ron and I went through the “Phantom E” phase together. Ron, rarely, if ever, collected a non-certified coin. I, rarely, if ever, collected a certified coin. Ron became my eyes on the auction sites. He alerted me to every possible raw VAM-14. With Ron’s help, I collected close to a roll of raw 1883-O VAM-14s before giving up (truthfully, I never gave up) on finding a demonstrable clashed E. This was the beginning of a nearly eight year collaboration between Ron and me.

Ron had a background in publishing that included him using a programming language (COBAL I think). He worked for one of the Detroit newspapers. I first started programming in PERL in 1997. Both of us were intensely interesting in contributing to the VAMWorld wiki. I coached Ron on a few basic Wiki scripting concepts. Ron went to work making thousands of edits on the VAMWorld pages. Ron was the “Top” guy.

During the 2013-2014 era on VAMWorld, there was a member, Lance, who was unrestrained in editing pages. Truthfully, I kind of liked Lance. He always gave us a warning before dropping a MOAB on Ron’s and my creations.

At the time, my Morgan collection was documented on an intranet Wiki server. I could have made the collection world readable with a few mouse clicks. By this time, Ron and I had been collaborating for a year. Ron and I discussed taking our collaboration public. We never intended to be a competitor to VAMWorld (and we never were). We simply wanted a collaborative platform that was not shackled by infrastructure and not vulnerable to the spirit of “Lance.”

Ron and I wanted to have a platform where image resolution and the number of images were not restricted by the infrastructure. Plus, because the platform was aimed at photography and collaborative study, we were not beholden to performance. Our collaborative platform went on-line in 2015. We created a Web presence where we could collaborate without restraint. Like with the Gapa family. Ron was the glue for Silver Dye Photography. You could not hope for a more loyal friend, or a more loyal partner.

A Morgan story about Ron. Ron wanted an 1883-O VAM22A in his collection. But Ron was resistant to collecting a raw Morgan. There were a number of raw 22A’s that came onto the market in 2014-2015. I harvested the majority of them. I was attributing thumbnails. During this era, Ron frequently sent me auction numbers, asking me to weigh in on 22A attributions. Often times I could not respond until evenings after work. One day, a well known vendor in Tennessee posted high resolution photographs of an unattributed raw 22A on the Bay. Ron, spied it but did not pull the trigger pending my attribution. I was at work and not able to respond to Ron’s request. The coin sold and Ron missed out. Years later, I could not joke with Ron about it. I made the mistake of suggesting that he had to have pulled the trigger, not waited for me. Sadly, Ron passed, without a 22A in his collection. Thinking back, I should have offered him one of mine; but it would have been awkward. The hunt was as important as the coin; almost.

Since 2013, my collecting activity has focused on raw coins of the 1883-O series. Ron, on the other hand, collected rare certified Morgans. As a VAMmer, Ron was interested in discovery coins. Ron was also fascinated by breaks and cracks. Accordingly, Ron evolved the Gapa Collection known as Crack City.

Ron was a major source of inspiration for me. He remains the driving force behind Silver Dye Photography. We shall miss him immeasurably. Ron will remain a driving force for many of us as we pay homage to the Morgan Silver Dollar.
Last edited by LorenAlbert on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lured_in_again

Post by lured_in_again » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Very nice write up, thank you for posting for those of us that weren't as fortunate to know him that well. He will be missed here on VW...... Condolences to the family.

dave700x

Post by dave700x » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 am

Great post Loren. I never knew Ron personally but now I think I know him thanks to you. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.
1883-O nut

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:38 pm

Extremely well written post Loren!
I also did not know him
Condolences to his family, friends and friends here on VW

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Thank you Jon, Dave, Mike, and others. Ron devoted much of his last decade to VAMming. He found great satisfaction in collecting the Morgan silver dollar. He brought much enthusiasm to the table. He was infectious in this regard. Loren

Addendum: Ron's sister, Laurie, replied to me that Ron was not recruited by Kansas City; he was, in fact, recruited by the Oakland Athletics. Highlighting the extremes of life that MS inflicts. It was a major ordeal for Ron to journey from his main living area to his coin photography room, a level of stairs away.

I posted the following to the tribute page setup by Ron's family - "Thank you Laurie. An Internet search for "VAMWorld Discussion Forum RMG1883CC PacificWR" will lead to a thread of reflections from Numismatists who worked with Ron."

bigjayvee

Post by bigjayvee » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Another great loss of friends we never meet in person, but appreciate. Rest in Peace, Ron.