2021 Morgan/Peace renderings

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

2021 Morgan/Peace renderings

Post by messydesk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

The Mint Director released the renderings for these a few days ago. Looks quite promising. The Morgan looks to be the 1879-1904 design with C3 reverse. The Peace dollar is a hybrid of a low-relief 1921 obverse and B2 reverse. I hope the fields of the Peace dollar have a little curvature to them like the original and aren't just perfectly flat to make it easier to produce all the fancy finishes. The 0 in the date on the Peace dollar needs to be more round and centered between the 2s, too. These are the biggest pictures I can currently find.

Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay

Re: 2021 Morgan/Peace renderings

Post by DHalladay » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:08 pm

John: Thanks for posting these. To my eye the 1 in the date of both coins also looks slightly out of scale (too small/thin) compared to the other digits.
When in doubt... don't.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks John. I agree, the numbers look wonky. Does anyone know what they finally decided to call this release? I don't think it is a commemorative?🐍

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Longstrider wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:54 pm
Thanks John. I agree, the numbers look wonky. Does anyone know what they finally decided to call this release? I don't think it is a commemorative?🐍
If it has a denomination on it, it would be considered bullion legal tender like the ASE, no?
It's coming... :popcorn:

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 am

Will these be the next Gen VAM's?... :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am

...kenny wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 am
Will these be the next Gen VAM's?... :lol:
Perhaps if we can find some scribbles! :shock:
When in doubt... don't.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:41 am

I think these have some real potential. We need things to draw attention to the hobby, so in my mind if they do multiple mint marks, PL, MS, DMPL, reverse proofs, etc. it is all drawing attention to the hobby. It might be a pain to build a complete set, but that is not new.

It would be really nice if we can find some modern VAMs scattered out in the strikes.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 am

Are these going to be the size of A Morgan and Peace Dollar or American Eagle sized? I am hoping there not so rare that it is going to crash their system.
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 am

Coin World wrote:H.R. 6192 authorizes production of Morgan and Peace dollars in not less than .900 fine silver, with the balance of the alloy in copper.

Uram said that, in discussions with U.S. Mint officials, they indicated options would include issues struck at the Denver, Philadelphia and San Francisco Mints.

Privy marks could be added to specific Morgan dollar issues to pay homage to the silver dollar output at the former Carson City Mint in Nevada and New Orleans Mint in Louisiana.

Uram said discussions included details for Proof and Uncirculated releases, with the possibility for special sets to include coins of different finishes from multiple Mints.
The bill authorizes discounted pricing for bulk sales, so I don't think availability will be an issue. With all the mints, privy marks, and finishes, a full set might need its own Dansco album. Slab label collectors will probably have to buy hundreds of coins.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 am

messydesk wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 am
Coin World wrote:H.R. 6192 authorizes production of Morgan and Peace dollars in not less than .900 fine silver, with the balance of the alloy in copper.

Uram said that, in discussions with U.S. Mint officials, they indicated options would include issues struck at the Denver, Philadelphia and San Francisco Mints.

Privy marks could be added to specific Morgan dollar issues to pay homage to the silver dollar output at the former Carson City Mint in Nevada and New Orleans Mint in Louisiana.

Uram said discussions included details for Proof and Uncirculated releases, with the possibility for special sets to include coins of different finishes from multiple Mints.
The bill authorizes discounted pricing for bulk sales, so I don't think availability will be an issue. With all the mints, privy marks, and finishes, a full set might need its own Dansco album. Slab label collectors will probably have to buy hundreds of coins.
I don't collect one of each label, but I have a complete set of one example of every Engraver and Designer signature. Hopefully Barbara Fox and NGC gets an exclusive deal for this one...

...but we all know PCGS has 27 signature varieties already in wait and gold ink variants to boot... Lol...

PickNGrin

Post by PickNGrin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks for the information! Sure hope these work out especially in a Pl or Dmpl finish!

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:25 pm

thanks for the info , well here is my chance at a MS-70 and a PF-70 Morgan haha
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm

PickNGrin wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 pm
Thanks for the information! Sure hope these work out especially in a Pl or Dmpl finish!
I think those wanting cameo coins will be disappointed. Today's "60-grit" cameo finishes wreak havoc on the details of the design, leaving mostly just a silhouette. It would be cool if they polished the dies for the Morgans like they did before 1921, and let coins transition from DMPL to PL to lustrous, but this would result in coins being returned for exchange if the mirrors weren't strong enough.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm

@TheYokel That makes sense to me. I hope they don't use SAE blanks/planchets...Thanks.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm

To me they aren't particularly, overtly horrible like the SF commem reverse is but they're almost too good yet not perfect. It reminds me of an issue I read about with CGI animation that a kids movie called Mars Needs Moms ran into. They got the animation so realistic yet not real that it came off to the human eye as creepy. Maybe you can Google articles about it if you're interested but when I saw these thats what popped into my mind.. Lets see how the final product is but I'm guessing @dcarr's will be much better for us. Bias aside..
Last edited by CascadeChris on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 pm
To ke they aren't particularly, overly horrible like the SF commem reverse is but they're almost too good yet not perfect. It reminds me of an issue I read about with CGI animation that a kids movie called Mars Needs Moms ran into. They got the animation so realistic yet not real that it came off to the human eye as creepy. Maybe you can Google articles about it if you're interested but when I saw these thats what popped into my mind.. Lets see how the final product is but I'm guessing @dcarr's will be much better for us. Bias aside..
Uncanny Valley

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:06 pm

i wonder if we will have striking issues like they had with the mercury dime issue struck in gold. those were terribly struck. i wonder how high of a relief these will have in the pattern stage, and then what will they look like under normal striking conditions, or will they use special dies in order bring up the relief, and thus justify charging higher prices...?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:21 pm

vamsterdam wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:06 pm
i wonder if we will have striking issues like they had with the mercury dime issue struck in gold. those were terribly struck....
No kidding. The first thing everyone looked for on those was full bands, and the coins have no bands. Horrible detail inthe braid and wing, too. Not sure how much of this was strike and how much was design.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

I saw a pretty fair amount of variance in strike on the dimes. Overall, they were terribly struck. Maybe they were paying homage to the 1945p and just didn’t tell anyone...The SLQ Was a little more uniform.