Intro and help on a 1921-P Morgan Dollar (and several others?)

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
bownarrow

Intro and help on a 1921-P Morgan Dollar (and several others?)

Post by bownarrow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:16 am

Hi Vamworld!

I'm a newbie on the forums here and it's an honor for me to be here. Thanks for all your efforts and for making a great hobby even better! I've quietly been on the forums for some time without signing in or posting.

I actually need help with more Morgans than just this one. I've postponed coming here for help and so the number of coins confounding me have grown. At present, there is an 1883-P, 1884-O, 1890-P, 1891-P at issue and I wasn't sure which way to handle these in a way that is respectful to the board. That is:

Should I have just one thread discussing multiple coins or should I wait and start new discussion for each one? I will be sure to follow the best practices here however I'm told.

Rest assured I'm not presenting anything cavalierly because I respect all of your time. I've considered these coins at length and done my best to use the site's resources first.

Regarding this 1921-P, I've studied all of the Die Crack Break Guides for the 1921-P and cannot find a match for this one. Looking at the die crack from the 2 to the hair on the obverse, the only VAM I can find that has a die crack from the 2 in the date to Liberty's hair is 14A1 but I know this coin is not that. I actually have a 14A1 so of the hundred VAMs for this date it's crazy that's the one I'm familiar with!

A few "tells" I picked up are a crack between the 9 and the 2 in the date, a crack on the reverse from the A in DOLLAR to the laurel wreath and beyond, and cracks on the obverse at the first four stars (left of the date). An image of the reverse shows (hopefully) cracks at STATES and between the O and F of OF.
1921-2cracks.jpg
1921-2cracks.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
1921-4cracks.jpg
1921-4cracks.jpg (77.36 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Please disregard the filenames so they don't confuse. I was just naming/numbering the images 1, 2, 3, and 4 before "cracks". (Sorry won't do that again.) I have the coins here and will make other images as necessary.

I think I'm on pretty good ground just looking at the Break Guides but I'm excited to wait and see what the responses will be because I really have no idea what to expect.

Thanks a million in advance!
Attachments
1921reverse.jpg
1921reverse.jpg (199.05 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
1921cracks.jpg
1921cracks.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Tekkie1

Re: Intro and help on a 1921-P Morgan Dollar (and several others?)

Post by Tekkie1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:57 am

Welcome to the site.

First of all, Be sure to observe whether it's a D1 or D2 reverse.

Take a look at VAM-3CM and see if it fits. :)

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 am

I agree with 3CM, although my example doesn't yet have a crack from the A in DOLLAR to the lower wreath.
When in doubt... don't.

Kissov

Post by Kissov » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 pm

Agree with 3CM.

bownarrow

Post by bownarrow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:05 am

Tekkie1, DHalladay and Kissov Thanks, thanks and thanks guys. That's why I make the coffee around here.

This was my first experience with just how difficult these polishing lines can be to see. Even the first two looks through the loupe I'm saying "they're not there. Why are there no polishing lines on either side of this coin!?" It was the 3rd (4th?) look where I had a lot of light and a different angle and the lines inside Liberty appeared, then the lines in the lower hair. Strange but the lines at the eagle's right leg were still really tough to see but yep, they're there too.

Everything else checks out exactly the same as this coin. I also learned that I hadn't seen the exhaustive (big!) list of 1921-P VAMs.

So that's two instructions learned in one post and I'll call this thread properly concluded.

Thanks again all