2. No
No votes
3. Some of them.
No votes

Total votes: 9

PacificWR

Old VAMWorld Threads

Post by PacificWR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 am

If anyone has checked out any of the VAM listing on the new site I am sure you have noticed that the threads from the old VAMWorld were not working. There is a very simple fix for this. For the folks that know how to code all you have to do to fix the thread on the VAM page is to add "wikispaces" after VAMWorld. So that would be:

[[http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com./mes ... e/24489765]]

Once the code change is saved the link is restored. For an example of what I am talking about check out the VAM pages for 1891 O VAM 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, 1A4 and the 1887 P VAM 25A.. The links have been restored for these VAM pages. For the folks that do not know how to code PM me or one of the other guys (there are at least five)the pages that need to be fixed.

This post was really created to see if folks think we should try and save the old threads.
Last edited by PacificWR on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CascadeChris

Re: Old VAMWorld Threads

Post by CascadeChris » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 am

Wait, so the old threads aren't lost for good?!
Alonzi VW 2.0!

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 am

That is right. They are not lost for good.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 am

If true and lasting that's the best news I've heard in a while aside my new nephew being born the other day :)
Alonzi VW 2.0!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 pm

They're not lost for good yet. I've been trying to get support from Wikispaces to get the discussion board exported but they haven't proven helpful yet. There's little else I can do. If there are threads you want to save, you can save then individually (perhaps the "in memoriam" threads). If there is information on them linked from VAM pages that legitimately belongs on the VAM pages, copy it, as had been a request since at least March. The old discussion board is scheduled to disappear October 1, whether or not we have any success in getting it exported.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Sounds like they are not offering any help on supplying a converter program?

?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 am

Converting is not the issue. Simply exporting the threads so that we actually have them is.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm

John,

Let me make sure I am understanding what you are saying. Let's use the thread on the 1878 S VAM 89 page as an example. As it stands now, you could manually export thread http://www.vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/64955378
and convert it to the new format but, they have not provided you with the tool set to do a mass export?
Last edited by PacificWR on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 pm

As it currently stands, there is no way to convert an old VAMWorld thread into a new one, and no way to download the entire discussion board. What can be done is a manual "save as" download of individual threads once you show all replies. What I recommend is that if there are threads linked from VAM pages, find out why and add the salient information from those pages that is needed on the VAM pages to the VAM pages themselves. I'll contact Wikispaces again to see what's going on with the download of the entire board, but they've proven unworthy of my confidence in the past, so my expectations are appropriately low.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 pm

It does not sound very promising. What I have been doing is creating a link in the VAM listing to a new page that contains the photo's (example: 1878 S VAM 89).

RMG1883CC

Post by RMG1883CC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Let's get this correct,,, If a link is bad and I do the wikispaces.com addition and now it works,,,,,,,,, Will it be an active link after the old MB is gone. Not threads !! just corrected links ??

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

It will not work Ron. If we take a look at the 1878 S VAM 89 page and look under "Threads" you will see two entries. Clicking on the first link brings up the old (wikispaces) thread. This thread will work for a short time longer (wikispaces was added to fix the link...to find out what was in it). Link number two points you to a page I created. The new page was created to move the photo's that compare VAM 80 to VAM 89. Otherwise, the photo's would... in a short time be lost.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Much to my surprise, I got an e-mail from Wikispaces with a link where I was able to download a dump of the discussion board messages in JSON format. With this, I can set up a script to also download the images, so it looks like we will be able to salvage the old discussion board and eventually re-create it somewhere in some read-only format.

The current links in the VAM pages to threads will not work after 9/30, but the old discussion board will be recreated in such a manner as to make it very easy to change them -- vamworld.wikispaces.com/share/view/1234567 will become something like archive.vamworld.com/1234567.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Great news John. Does this mean we can quit with building new pages that contain the old wikispaces thread?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Yes, you don't have to build pages containing old threads. If, however, there is only a small amount of information in one of these threads that, when added to its VAM page, would make the VAM page much more useful, add that information directly, probably under comments and/or additional pictures. Linking to a thread that requires a new user to scroll through a lot of stuff to find the useful information is not the best approach in this case.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Long story short, On the VAM pages that contain threads with the old "wikispaces" the threads will now able to be repaired?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Yes

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm

This is amazing news! I was worried that we would lose all the early threads with great stuff from OG's that no longer post + everybody's DC threads & the the in memoriam threads especially. Who did you have to bribe over at Wiki Spaces JB?!
Alonzi VW 2.0!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm
This is amazing news! I was worried that we would lose all the early threads with great stuff from OG's that no longer post + everybody's DC threads & the the in memoriam threads especially. Who did you have to bribe over at Wiki Spaces JB?!
Nobody. Just started an export job, waited several weeks for it to not complete, sent support an e-mail. Waited for a response for a couple days, replied to their response that said the export job was stuck (duh) with my specific request for something I could download, waited for a couple weeks, went on vacation, came back, and all the sudden I get an e-mail today with a link to a downloadable archive of the discussion board on a Google drive. 78 MB of text, and it looks like 26289 threads. I did check to see if all the In Memoriam threads were there, and they are.

Color me pleasantly surprised.

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm

This is great news for all VAMmers. There are invaluable threads that are amazing reads from many experts and VAM weenies. THANKS for doing such a GREAT JOB Messy.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.