1896-P VAM-6 / 6B

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
andywoj00

1896-P VAM-6 / 6B

Post by andywoj00 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm having a hard time differentiating three coins I have as to whether they are a 96P [VAM-6] or [VAM-6B]. The LFCP's on the V6 page look to be the same as the LFCPs on the V6B page. Additionally, I can see no field displacement in the plate photos at the V6B page.

I have two coins that match the 6B cracks and breaks, but lack displacement. Also, under the microscope, there is a triple clash event at LW1 of the top of Liberty's upper lip.

On a third coin I have, there is only a single clash event of the upper lip and no breaks along the cracks as noted on the 6B....would this be a legit V6?

Does anyone out there have a VSS or LVA attributed V6 with decent LFCP's that could be posted to the V6 page? And if the LFCP on the V6 page is a V6B, can it be moved?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....Andy

messydesk
Site Admin

Re: 1896-P VAM-6 / 6B

Post by messydesk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm

From the looks of the coin on the VAM 6B page, I'd have called this VAM 6 and not recommended it for a new listing.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:24 pm

The stage with the polish job that leaves the right foot of the Y of LIBERTY open is common. I've always call this VAM 6. The stage of this marriage before all the clashing occurs is fairly hard to find, but I have seen it.
And I agree with John about the 6B listing being marginal at best
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

blh74

Post by blh74 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:37 am

andywoj00 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm
I'm having a hard time differentiating three coins I have as to whether they are a 96P [VAM-6] or [VAM-6B]. The LFCP's on the V6 page look to be the same as the LFCPs on the V6B page. Additionally, I can see no field displacement in the plate photos at the V6B page.

I have two coins that match the 6B cracks and breaks, but lack displacement. Also, under the microscope, there is a triple clash event at LW1 of the top of Liberty's upper lip.

On a third coin I have, there is only a single clash event of the upper lip and no breaks along the cracks as noted on the 6B....would this be a legit V6?

Does anyone out there have a VSS or LVA attributed V6 with decent LFCP's that could be posted to the V6 page? And if the LFCP on the V6 page is a V6B, can it be moved?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....Andy
I also have three. I am not seeing any obverse clash marks or N. I see all the cracks on the reverse. And not seeing the displaced field. Sorry this is no help.