FUN Show Cancelled

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

FUN Show Cancelled

Post by messydesk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm seeing news this morning that the FUN show has been cancelled, although FUN hasn't updated their website to that effect yet. We'll try to get VAM Thing XVIII to happen as a webinar somehow, either through FUN or the ANA.

Edit:
Cindy Wibker wrote: Contact: Cindy Wibker, 1-407-321-8747

2021 FLORIDA UNITED NUMISMATISTS CONVENTION CANCELLED

It is with great disappointment that the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) board of directors is announcing FUN 2021 is cancelled. Slated for January 7-10, 2021 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, the convention would have been the 66th annual event held by the Florida organization devoted to serving collectors of coins, paper money, medals, and tokens.

The FUN board has worked hard to make this show a reality, desperately wanting to provide a venue for our dealers to get back to what they love and have our numismatic community be able to convene again. However, it has become clear that the “cons” far outweigh the “pros” at this point in time. The COVID virus is spiraling out of control and the predictions are that will continue to get worse through the dates of the FUN show.

First and foremost is the concern for the health and well-being of our dealers, our service providers, and our public attendees. There are currently many concerns and many unknowns. The FUN board built in precautions with mandatory masks, purchasing hand sanitizer, and performing daily temperature checks of everyone who enters the bourse area but was still apprehensive about being able to keep everyone safe with some level of social distancing and other safety measures.

“It was a very difficult decision, but we must cancel the FUN 2021 convention,” says FUN President Bob Hurst. “The board of directors agreed to continue as long as the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests stayed at 10% or less in Orange County, Florida. Currently, it is at 14%, and we cannot wait to see if it will go down. Making the decision to cancel this 66th annual show was not made in haste. I hope to see all of you at Summer FUN 2021.”

“I know this was an incredibly difficult decision of the entire FUN Board, but it was the correct one,” remarks Heritage Auctions CEO Steve Ivy. “In the final analysis the wellbeing of FUN and its members is the ultimate consideration. The January FUN convention is and will continue to be the premier coin show of the year. Heritage Auctions and its entire staff look forward to the upcoming summer show and auction with even more anticipation than normal. And the January 2022 show will be like no other.”

Our clubs are unable to get their members to commit to attend the show and are cancelling their FUN-sponsored club buses. We believe this is a good indicator that the public is not yet comfortable attending a convention.

If you booked a hotel reservation through FUN’s official housing bureau your reservation will automatically be cancelled. Refund checks will be mailed to all who paid a bourse fee.

FUN deeply regrets disappointing many people, but we look forward to better days ahead and a hugely successful show in July 2021. We encourage all of you to consider attending Summer FUN in 2021. The FUN board will meet in the early spring to consider special plans for that show to help make up for the loss of our January show. We will have plenty of promotional items in storage to give away and we can all celebrate better days together. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these unprecedented situations
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vamnuke

Re: FUN Show Cancelled

Post by vamnuke » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Sad, I think many of us here crossed it off the list as it looks like the vaccine availability timeline is getting delayed. Stay safe and stay strong; with fortune, I'll see everyone at the 2022 show! In the meantime; I look forward to a virtual VAM thing. I'm getting used to Zoom!

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Dammit
Alonzi VW 2.0!

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:57 pm

A reasonable decision given the circumstances.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Yeah, I feel both disappointed AND relieved.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Well, crapolla. But I am with JR on this one. Would be nice to get both the VAM Thing and JR's 12 for 2021 virtual if possible. I would be no help however as I am not IT inclined.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:28 pm

I had planned not to go months earlier, yet I'm still sad that the show has been canceled. Not for the in-person buying and selling that won't happen, but for the in-person camaraderie that won't happen – which has always been the best part of FUN for me.
When in doubt... don't.

playtime1

Post by playtime1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Not surprising, but still tough for the coin dealers buying and selling lost opportunity. Let’s hope that the vaccine gets here soon.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:28 pm
I had planned not to go months earlier, yet I'm still sad that the show has been canceled. Not for the in-person buying and selling that won't happen, but for the in-person camaraderie that won't happen – which has always been the best part of FUN for me.
Even if Florida had relaxed the dining rules to no rules, none of us really want to risk each other's life for a dinner. Let's hope for 2022.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:13 pm

I just got off the phone with Randy Campbell a little while ago

Two things that forced the cancellation of the FUN show were the Orlando City Council prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people and the Rosen hotel chain closing to guests through January. Summer FUN is expected to be about 250 tables this year. VAM Thing XIX is on the schedule for 2022. We're hoping to do VAM Thing XVIII together with John R's presentation as a webinar.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Anyone know how many people can participate in a Zoom session at once? I have a 27" monitor so I have room for a LOT of thumbnail windows. :lol:
When in doubt... don't.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:59 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:54 pm
Anyone know how many people can participate in a Zoom session at once? I have a 27" monitor so I have room for a LOT of thumbnail windows. :lol:
I think you can see 25 at a time, maybe, before you have to start scrolling to another screen. The webinar format only shows the presenter, though, either full screen or as a thumbnail over the material being presented.