Lamination vs. cracked planchet?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Windycity

Lamination vs. cracked planchet?

Post by Windycity » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:50 pm

I submitted this coin to PCGS and it came back as not gradeable due to cracked planchet. I then submitted to NGC for grading and they called it reverse lamination. I have to say when I first notice the coin, I called it lamination but curious why PCGS would say cracked planchet... or can they be the same error?

Prider358

Re: Lamination vs. cracked planchet?

Post by Prider358 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Stunning coin and great photo's.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:57 pm

A coin struck on a cracked planchet will have a very poor or absent ring. Most delamination error coins will ring, but at a higher pitch. Not sure what you'll get if you drop the slab on an anvil....
Last edited by RogerB on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Nice Coin! From my view here, there seems to be a lot going on above the 'UNITED' at rim.
I thought lamination & cracked planchet errors were the same.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Generally speaking, A cracked planchet is characterized by a crack that goes through both sides. I would attribute this as a lamination.

weth

Post by weth » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:07 am

Interesting coin! Both lamination and cracked planchet errors refer to inherent flaws in the planchet prior to strike. The word "lamina" means a "thin layer of material" so a lamination error is typically when a thin layer of material is separating and the defect is primarily in the horizontal layer of the planchet. A cracked planchet is when the defect goes through the coin, being a vertical layer defect. Although it doesn't go entirely through the coin in this example, it looks to go somewhat deep, so it could possibly be called either but appears more like a vertical defect than a horizontal.