35-S Peace Dollar Extra Rays

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

35-S Peace Dollar Extra Rays

Post by messydesk » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 am

I had suspected for a long time that the extra ray on some 1935-S Peace dollars was actually not in the hub, but hand-engraved. I finally had the opportunity to check this out tonight as a pair of 35-S with extra ray crossed my desk. It looks like I may have been right. The attached is an overlay of the two coins with rim and other rays lining up, but the extra ray showing two diverging rays. At least one of them is not in the hub.
35soverlay.jpg
35soverlay.jpg (184.71 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Flat-Chested

Re: 35-S Peace Dollar Extra Rays

Post by Flat-Chested » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 am

I posted photos in VAMWorld 1.0 showing the mm moved in relation to the extra ray, nobody cared so I dropped the issue and sold the coins. Oh well.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 am

Flat-Chested wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 am
I posted photos in VAMWorld 1.0 showing the mm moved in relation to the extra ray, nobody cared so I dropped the issue and sold the coins. Oh well.
The mint mark was hand-punched, so that alone really wasn't any sort of indicator of the ray position.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:22 am

Yeah, making a new hub for later in 1935 has always seemed odd. Hand engraving a ray that wasn't in the hub on a couple or several working dies is also odd,, but the difference in the strength of the rays supports it. Your overlay demonstrates that at least one isn't in the hub as you noted. Since one isn't, it's likely none of the added ray dies had that ray added at the hub level.
Now I have to wonder if this modification was at the onset of the working dies' respective lives, or if there's at least one marriage that shows a without then with added ray progression.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Philadelphia Mint Engraver John Sinnock did a lot of this type of die retouching. A close look at commemorative halves will reveal strengthening of spots that were beginning to fade. This was also the habit of George Morgan and Sinnock likely continued the practice.

When reductions were made on the Janvier lathe, they were supposed to be "ready to use," but any sensible die sinker knew that was an unrealistic expectation. Management more-or-less assumed the reductions were perfect and allowed no extra time beyond basic deburring for touch-up. (This could easily take several days.) Despite the improvements in operations and funding from the Roosevelt administration and director Ross' interest in Sinnock's work (mostly the Franklin medal), the Engraver did what he had normally done, and made spot adjustments. (The thin 'rib' seen in Messydesk's overlay is likely one of these, as is the 'stray ray.'

1934-35 silver dollars were an expediency and political show piece for Western states. They stopped once Congress allowed bullion to be "monetized" (original use of the term) so silver certificates could be printed in larger quantities without minting dollar coins. (Dies were made for 1936 but never used.)

The End.

davidkclose

Post by davidkclose » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:14 am

Nice work!

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:01 pm

awesome discovery!