Suggestion - Would a standard reference grid make attribution easier?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion - Would a standard reference grid make attribution easier?

Post by messydesk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Mike7E wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 pm
The question of using a grid to better define features has several interesting aspects, including one that I have been working on. I too have been trying to find a way to better describe clashed dies to reduce the time spent searching each die set for a year. High, medium or low is not adequate, and seldom used.

Calculating clash location as a percentage from the neck/jaw juncture to the bust tip would greatly narrow a search. ...
For almost all coins, the shape of the neck and jaw is consistent (there are a couple dies here and there that were overpolished or retouched). I would start with your observations of clash line position and make a gauge on the jaw and neck itself. The Grellman late date large cent book has some hand-drawn gauges in it showing, for example the position of the top of the 1 in the date relative to the tip of the bust. There aren't any units specified, just positions 1 through 8. I'd be inclined to try out something like this rather than make absolute measurements. In the case of the clash line, you're actually trying to measure and represent degrees of rotation during the clash. Whether you would want to use actual angle measurement or just numbered positions would be up to you, but I'd use whatever is most useful to a user of the system. You might also consider using the vertical line above the wing and its alignment with respect to "In G", as it would be easier to represent in a gauge and probably easier to use. John Wright's The Cent Book shows such a gauge for alignment of letters to wreath parts on the reverse of middle date large cents.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Kissov

Re: Suggestion - Would a standard reference grid make attribution easier?

Post by Kissov » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm using this layout to sort out cracks on 1921 Morgans (it is very much a work in progress and not ready for prime time).

morgan21cracks.jpg
morgan21cracks.jpg (267.98 KiB) Viewed 75 times

Sort of a connect the dots approach.