Documents requested from NARA

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
RogerB

Documents requested from NARA

Post by RogerB » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:23 pm

NARA facilities remain closed and the documents some members have requested are not available.

Longstrider

Re: Documents requested from NARA

Post by Longstrider » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:51 pm

They need to ball up and open. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Thanks🐍

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:17 pm

Their notice says they will follow local conditions. Since the College Park facility is in Prince George's County, Maryland, that means they will remain in Phase II for at least another week. In MD, Phase III is open but 1/2 normal capacity. That likely means NARA will have some sort of allocation system in place - maybe advance sign-up. Many researchers travel long distances to visit, so it's not like opening a movie theater.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:28 pm

Can't imagine any real world scenario that constitutes a National Archives research emergency. A low to moderate risk of death or the spread of serious illness seems like a solid reason to wait.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:46 pm

I don't want to get political and that was just my opinion. I just feel we can't hide forever. When I say open up I mean that each person should do what they feel is safe. I hope I didn't say enough to get 86'ed here. Thanks all.🐍

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:51 am

Many people (well -- a large handful, at least -- ) make their living doing research for a wide range of clients, plus students do research for Master's and Doctoral work. Last spring there was a group of 8 from Japan that had been there over 2 years digging into WW-II archives. They were trying to rebuild large portions of the Japanese records that were destroyed. Several people I've met are workers on contract for Ancestry and their competitors. Government agencies, insurance companies, courts, etc., nearly always have people working on benefit claims, data for court cases, etc. The Bureau of Indian Affairs research took several years to complete.

What I do there - independent research - is way in the minority.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:57 am

To be certain, important work in done in the National Archives. There is now an element of risk that was not present last year.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:52 pm

The College Park facility is spacious and researchers are spread among multiple floors of the building. The main reading room on the 2nd floor is the place people are more likely to come into closer contact. By sitting 2 to a table instead of 4, spacing of about 6-feet could be maintained, and masks could be required.

The facility near Philadelphia has only a small room the might accommodate 2 or 3 with 6-foot spacing. One corner is reserved for an Ancestry contractor and equipment, so total capacity is limited to just 1 or 2 other people.

I normally use one of the three camera stands with LED lights at College Park. They should be OK to use since they are about 6-feet apart. People who use the small Fujitsu ScanSnap page scanners will have to be spaced farther apart.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Think it all comes down to what part of the country you live in. Here in the Heartland our church has been open for 10 weeks at full capacity. A normal Sunday we have any where from 600-1,000 in attendance. Mask are not required, but social distancing is practiced. We have a band and folks sing. No problems.