Slab-Renew

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
PacificWR

Slab-Renew

Post by PacificWR » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Just curious if anyone here on VAMWorld has used the product “Slab-Renew”? The product removes scratches and gunk on slabs for coins. I tried it on PCGS, ANACS, ICG and NGC slabs and it works great. Only thing you need to be careful is with NGC slabs. You do not want to rub the product directly onto the NGC holograms as it could remove it.

evensocome

Re: Slab-Renew

Post by evensocome » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:11 am

Haven't used the product in question, but for decades most dealers have used "PlastX" headlight cleaner - works wonders on light to moderate scratches on slabs.

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:49 am

PacificWR wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:00 pm
Just curious if anyone here on VAMWorld has used the product “Slab-Renew”? The product removes scratches and gunk on slabs for coins. I tried it on PCGS, ANACS, ICG and NGC slabs and it works great. Only thing you need to be careful is with NGC slabs. You do not want to rub the product directly onto the NGC holograms as it could remove it.
Yeah, several of my NGC slabs had already suffered this hologram removal when they were purchased. The newer NGC slabs feature a reverse holographic "eye" which radiates different color hypnotic circles. Removal of this new holographic "medium" would break NGC's spell over weak collectors !! :twisted: :lol:
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 am

I haven't used it. I have been using PlastX for a long time, and it works well. Slab-Renew is probably pretty much the same stuff. Any hologram that is on the surface of the slab is vulnerable to being polished off, but the old NGC ones are the most fragile.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Sounds like there is a couple of good products out there that will clean the gunk and help with the scratches.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:05 pm

I treat the gunk and scratches separately. Remove the gunk with Goo Gone or descented kerosene first, then polish. You don't want to be picking up goo in your polishing rag. If there is adhesive or a sticker on a fragile hologram, soak it in gunk remover and it should wipe off easily without further damaging the hologram.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Kissov

Post by Kissov » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:52 pm

I use Novus plastic polish. Amazon has it.