General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
My 1878 seems to have doubling issues. I’m new to coins so hoping to get some insight from you experts. Ill do my best to take pictures to show doubling in words like pluribus and liberty. Also my arrows, and head wheat seemS odd. Plus there are issues with feathers. Thank you.
- D01D4C0F-6E0F-4D3E-85F9-897C72F1D6B5.jpeg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
- AF9B5816-AD58-48AA-9F44-B419DD78A255.jpeg (134.77 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
- 5CD77012-5FDB-437E-ADE0-D533321109D4.jpeg (180.6 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
I’m including pictures here because I can’t seem to load more than three
- B3A40ED5-1DE4-4520-A8B4-CE1E3D36CEB1.jpeg (165.01 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
- 27AF8DC5-5BED-4966-8C17-A6CE35CD642D.jpeg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
- F14E7E39-4DF1-4151-89A3-F9D40921FD52.jpeg (141.45 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Before the 7-TF reverse dies became available in quantity, George Morgan was given permission to take existing 8-TF dies and overstrike with the new 7-TF design. Since the 8-TF dies were fundamentally flawed due to irregular curvature ('basin') these were first ground to a uniform 7-TF basin, then given several blows from the new 7-TF hub. Every 7/8-TF die was slightly different because of this individual treatment. Doubling of some reverse design elements might be visible. (See Girl on the Silver Dollar for details.) Fragments of the original 8-TF design can be seen in the OP's 1st photo.