Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Post Reply
Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Sun May 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone here can point me in a direction to learn more about how dies are aligned in the coin press.
This new ANA membership JB turned me onto has quite an extensive library access available for the members, it seems.
The use of those cylindrical steel rods as dies sure seems like they would be prone to worker instalation error when being realigned in the press. I know I would mess it up.
I have what I think is a clash on this peace dollar I would like to figure out. Thanks for any help.

User avatar
Longstrider
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 pm
Location: Mojave High Desert

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Longstrider » Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm

I recommend the Newman Numismatic Portal: https://nnp.wustl.edu/
They have a ton of info..It is always being added to as well. Good luck.🐍

RogerB
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by RogerB » Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Borrow a copy of From Mine to Mint from the ANA Library. That should get you started on US Mint equipment and processes.

Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Sun May 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Longstrider wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 pm
I recommend the Newman Numismatic Portal: https://nnp.wustl.edu/
They have a ton of info..It is always being added to as well. Good luck.🐍
Lots of information there! Interesting historical perspectives also. I may just have to get that better Wifi connection I have been putting off. Thanks Longstrider.

User avatar
lioncutter
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by lioncutter » Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 pm

Also, you can look under The Numismatic Bibliomania site. https://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum.html

Here is a article on working die alignments.
https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/club_nbs_ ... #article15
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Sun May 03, 2020 11:12 pm

RogerB wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm
Borrow a copy of From Mine to Mint from the ANA Library. That should get you started on US Mint equipment and processes.
The ANA library is closed right now due to virus. I did get it on my to read list for later. They have six copys they lend out. Thanks RogerB

Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 am

lioncutter wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 pm
Also, you can look under The Numismatic Bibliomania site. https://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum.html

Here is a article on working die alignments.
https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/club_nbs_ ... #article15
Great search engine of a publication I wasn't even aware of.
The article you looked up was spot on. Thanks lioncutter.

User avatar
lioncutter
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by lioncutter » Mon May 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Geseas wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 am
lioncutter wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 pm
Also, you can look under The Numismatic Bibliomania site. https://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum.html

Here is a article on working die alignments.
https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/club_nbs_ ... #article15
Great search engine of a publication I wasn't even aware of.
The article you looked up was spot on. Thanks lioncutter.
There are many hours of good reading of short articles for numismatics from all around the world.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

User avatar
vampicker
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by vampicker » Mon May 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Brand new copy of Roger's book would cost you less than $50. Well worth the price to be able to just turn around and grab it off your own shelf.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 pm

vampicker wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:56 pm
Brand new copy of Roger's book would cost you less than $50. Well worth the price to be able to just turn around and grab it off your own shelf.
I have been thinking that very same thing... Spend a little of this stimulation check and maybe benefit this great hobby. Win, win.
Thanks vampicker

User avatar
vampicker
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by vampicker » Mon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm

If Roger doesn't still have copies himself, Wizard Coin Supply does
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

Geseas
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by Geseas » Mon May 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Wait a second here.... you are saying RogerB=Roger W. Burdette?

I had no idea

User avatar
vampicker
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by vampicker » Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Yeah
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

RogerB
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: Working Die alignment in a Peace Dollar coin press

Post by RogerB » Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Whether the OP borrows or buys a copy, it is bundled with a searchable CD of the complete text and illustrations. The file is in PDF and can be loaded onto your smartphone or other portable device. Also, I recommend the CD be used like an index - you can find any word or phrase in just a moment.

Information is spread out because technology changed over time, and some US Mint facilities used somewhat different versions of the same processes, - refining is a good example. Further, the book has little specific date/mint coin information and no prices except as incidental to other discussions. It is aimed directly at equipment, technology, processes and production roles.

A second volume is in the works, but slowly. It will not be just an edited version of the original

Post Reply