What is good about a digital camera>

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
indian4

What is good about a digital camera>

Post by indian4 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 am

When I first tried my hand at this hobby, about 2013 I think. I was using a Nikon D-50 with a 60 MM macro. That was a step up from some of the other cameras I had used. Then I moved up to a D-90 with a macro Techna which also got great shots. I have found, however, that a Celestron Digital Handheld Microscope is my favorite for many closes-ups and different lighting situations. They are also relatively cheap if a person is dollar challenged. I see a lot of great shots on here and to a great degree I believe everyone has got to find their favorite combo. I still use my D-90 to do full coin shots primarily.

Having said this, I am not above trying to get a shot through a Spencer Buffalo Stereo Binocular Microscope from the 1920s. It is a very simple microscope used for dissecting. It tells you what you are looking at so that you can pinpoint for error shots, primarily mint mark detail. I don't use it as much because as some of you might have noticed, I obsess over detail.

I am posting this because I have noticed that there are some images that would benefit from using the Celestron, truth is though, you can get images a lot of different ways. This just to show how some of us are getting by out here.

Next job in front of me is really tackling the lighting. I have a real love for natural lighting but it is really tough. Anyway thats all from the Indian.
Attachments
Celestron.jpg
Celestron.jpg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 694 times
I hate this fracking coin...for now

RogerB

Re: What is good about a digital camera>

Post by RogerB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:23 am

Almost any camera - digital or film - can produce good photos. Every camera will produce awful photos if the lighting is poorly managed. The rule: lighting first, photos later.

:)

indian4

Post by indian4 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 pm

roger, I think you missed the message. Not everybody can afford to go out and by lighting equipment and top of the line cameras. I was suggesting a less expensive alternative. We always have new folks signing on to vamworld that are interested in what we are doing but are new to the hobby. Younger folks, especially may not have a lot of bucks. Just sayin.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:05 pm

The earliest VAMSlabs I did used an Intel QX5 "toy" microscope with a 0.25 MP sensor. I disabled the microscope's light, instead shining a flashlight through the blue housing to light the coin, acquired in black and white, and got surprisingly usable pictures. One of the side-effects of the blue housing was that since the light was only blue, there were no chromatic aberrations in the optics showing up in the images, and they were fairly sharp as a result.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:21 pm

I concur with the Indian. I also use a Celestron for many closeups. And I use my Canon for full coin shots. Lighting truly is the issue for many shots. I like to lay my coins sometimes in a window sill where good light is but not direct light from the sun. I also bought off the bay some cheap backing boards which are a grey color which is suppose to keep light from bouncing around. They work well and are very cheap.

hairfield1

Post by hairfield1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Could this be Rob's Camera? :lol:
Attachments
squirrel-on-camera-21421-27899.jpg
squirrel-on-camera-21421-27899.jpg (131.72 KiB) Viewed 646 times

indian4

Post by indian4 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:01 pm

I have some of my coins in a window sill right now. Lighting or good lighting is essential for many shot, but some cameras cannot get close enough to the coins without blurring the image, hence the macros on my Nikons (which I got used, by the way, saved many dollars.) Lenses are the biggest expenses but you can buy them used too. I am about to order another Celestron because mine is wearing due to bumps and scrapes. I seldom use the stand but I created one that works better for mny sots and can also mount my Nikon

Love the picture of the squirrel. He wouldn't last at my place. I have Greyhounds. :D
Attachments
Stand.JPG
Stand.JPG (84.73 KiB) Viewed 641 times

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:49 pm

indian4 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 pm
roger, I think you missed the message. Not everybody can afford to go out and by lighting equipment and top of the line cameras. I was suggesting a less expensive alternative. We always have new folks signing on to vamworld that are interested in what we are doing but are new to the hobby. Younger folks, especially may not have a lot of bucks. Just sayin.
Nope....My message was that getting good photos does not depend on the camera (or its cost). Likewise, the keys to good lighting are careful control and uniformity in color balance of the sources. The cost can be just a few dollars or none, if one is patient and a bit creative. (Wonders can be had with a piece of 3-inch plastic pipe, an LED desk light and an old scrap of white sheet.)

indian4

Post by indian4 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Roger, you are clearly going to try to one-up me no matter what I put on here.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:30 pm

:) Nope. Trying to help a little. I'll be quiet and sit over here in the corner....

indian4

Post by indian4 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:12 am

My apologies Roger. I misunderstood you. I won't do that again. I may be getting my feathers ruffled easier these days. I don't want to offend you or anybody. And you are right about low-cost ways to work with lighting and I could probably learn from you. I have tried many things myself to get the right lighting and I think the vams I've found show that.

Please comment again if you like. I won't over-react.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:02 am

I use an old camera.

I tried one of the scope devices, and while the hardware was good, the software was terrible.
The same is true with my phone, computer programs and nearly every other electronic device I come in contact with.
It is my opinion that all too often, the user's manual was either written by a technical geek whose communication skills suffer, by the person unqualified to do anything else for the company (so was chosen by default) or by an Oriental that has been trained to think very differently from an Occidental.

It has even occurred to me that an industrious person could buy some of these products, rebrand them and make a fortune just by offering better instructions.
This is why I use Irfanview for my photos - it was easy to learn how to use.
The greatest mystery in my workspace is how one can design a printer that cannot be turned on while sitting at the computer.
Or why there are lists of international regulations governing the dome light in our autos, but there is no consensus on which side of the vehicle to put the gas cap. Every busy gas station looks like a Keystone Cops movie.

From the postings some of the scopes look very good.
But until I can dedicate some time to learning new skills, I'll have to be satisfied with my camera.

indian4

Post by indian4 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Ihear ya brother. I hear ya. Most of the software out there for these micros is crap and it hasn't changed a lot in the last 7 years. It can be used but I wouldn't call it user-friendly. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to give it a shot.

> Most of the software out there for these