RB's Request

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

RB's Request

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Roger recently asked for transcribers of official documents to aid in research. Since this benefits us all I decided I could use this time locked away in my house to transcribe at least one document per day.

The documents are typically just one page long and can be done in just a few minutes. If we all participate in this project we can enhance the search for relevant numismatic information by leaps and bounds.

if you are like me with time on your hands I would suggest contacting Roger and working along with him. His considerable research has benefited us all and this project benefits collecting and enhances our knowledge of collecting.

This can be a great VW project and certainly reflect well on the hobby!!
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

RogerB

Re: RB's Request

Post by RogerB » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Hawkeye - Thanks for the transcription mention. Anyone who is interested in trying should send me a PM with the Name and E-mail address. I will send a sample file, and if that goes well follow-up with a small batch of similar documents.

(Just a note - most of the original Morgan dollar letters have already been transcribed, but a ,lot of follow-on material is scattered through the 1878-1885 period.)

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:43 pm

HawkeEye wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:19 pm
This can be a great VW project and certainly reflect well on the hobby!!
I absolutely agree with this. You've all seen some of the things that were discovered hiding in these documents, and no doubt there are more exciting things to find.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Count me in!
When in doubt... don't.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 pm

We need to hear from more people, this is easy work and really contributes to the hobby.

andywoj00

Post by andywoj00 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:32 am

HawkeEye wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 pm
We need to hear from more people, this is easy work and really contributes to the hobby.
What does transcribing entail and where are the before/after product(s) located? @RogerB

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:08 am

The transcribing is easy and just requires that the information go back to Roger formatted with a specific font, font size, and page margins. There was a little learning curve on punctuation and spelling issues, but Roger got me through that with a test run.

I picked up on the need in March 29 E-Sylum https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/club_nbs_ ... l#article9 where Roger explained the need and other relevant information.

We all benefit from search engines and archives when we do research and this is an easy way to give back to the hobby.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:51 am

andywoj00 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:32 am
HawkeEye wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 pm
What does transcribing entail and where are the before/after product(s) located? @RogerB
Nearly all US Mint documents prior to 1960 - including typed ones - fail OCR (optical character recognition). For handwritten materials OCR is useless; for typed letters the error rate and introduction of specious characters makes correction necessary, and takes longer than just manual transcription.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:57 am

Only a minuscule percentage of US Mint documents have ever been transcribed. Most of those relate only to a few special research projects. There is clearly much more information hidden in between the known letters and reports. (I've posted a few newly located items here from time to time.)

BTW - Everything is anonymous. Once I process the transcription all user metadata is destroyed. Further, I do not divulge anything about those who volunteer and no one else has contact information or names.

Other than expanding knowledge, I want participants to have fun discovering new and interesting information and also building a personal appreciation for the context in which coins were made, issued and circulated.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm

I can personally attest to Roger's note on discovery. I had no idea about the interworking of the Mint and the formality used between employees when addressing what might be mundane issues. The formal salutations and writing style are so out of place today but typical of the era.

Roger has noted, and I can attest from our grandchildren, that cursive is almost like a foreign language to future generations. The age of most people here makes cursive nothing special and we have a chance to bridge a vast quantity of coin information to the next generation.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:03 am

VAM Folks (VAMvolken ?) - I presently have 7 new volunteers in addition to several who have been helping for a couple of years. Not sure if I can keep up with many more, but will try to aid anyone who wants to help.

:)