PCGS Offices are Closed

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
PacificWR

PCGS Offices are Closed

Post by PacificWR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 am

Dear Valued Customer,
Late today, in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, Orange County, California issued an emergency order declaring nonessential businesses that operate within the county to close, effective immediately, through March 31, 2020.
As such, Collectors Universe and its Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) divisions are temporarily ceasing operations.
Non-local business units, such as PCGS Hong Kong, PCGS Shanghai, PSA New Jersey and PSA Tokyo, will remain open. Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) and Long Beach Expo operations will also remain operational.
Customers are asked to not ship submissions to our California office until operations are reopened. If you have an inbound shipment to Collectors Universe, it will be received and securely stored at our facility.
The situation is fluid and we’ll continue to keep our customers updated regarding the availability of our services.
We know this is a period of great uncertainty and we remain committed to providing world class services as soon as possible.
Sincerely,

Joe Orlando Brett Charville
CEO, Collectors Universe President, PCGS

RogerRock

Re: PCGS Offices are Closed

Post by RogerRock » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 am

WOW - INCREDIBLE
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

steveyo

Post by steveyo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm sure it's the right thing to do, but I'd hate to be waiting 6 weeks for my coins to be graded (which always seems like forever), and then who knows how long a delay before it's safe to work at a busy office again. Due to their stringently controlled grading, I'm sure it's NOT a job one could do at home.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 am

Just got another e-mail from them that they're re-opening after the Orange County Powers that Be Commission (OCPBEC) clarified their order, allowing PCGS to remain open. For how long is anyone's guess.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 am

Here is the letter.

MARCH 18, 2020 UPDATE
Orange County has clarified its emergency order and is now allowing businesses, including Collectors Universe, to resume operations. As a result, Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) will resume operations, effective immediately.
As evident by the multiple policy changes, the situation remains extremely fluid. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this ordeal. Ultimately, we are committed to both the health and safety of our employees and the delivery of our services to our loyal customers.
Sincerely,

Brett Charville
President, PCGS

March 17, 2020
Dear Valued Customer,
Late today, in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, Orange County, California issued an emergency order declaring nonessential businesses that operate within the county to close, effective immediately, through March 31, 2020.
As such, Collectors Universe and its Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) divisions are temporarily ceasing operations.
Non-local business units, such as PCGS Hong Kong, PCGS Shanghai, PSA New Jersey and PSA Tokyo, will remain open. Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) and Long Beach Expo operations will also remain operational.
Customers are asked to not ship submissions to our California office until operations are reopened. If you have an inbound shipment to Collectors Universe, it will be received and securely stored at our facility.
The situation is fluid and we’ll continue to keep our customers updated regarding the availability of our services.
We know this is a period of great uncertainty and we remain committed to providing world class services as soon as possible.
Sincerely,

Joe Orlando Brett Charville
CEO, Collectors Universe President, PCGS

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm

They should just take down the online submission form and notify that they will not be accepting new submission mailings. Just complete those in process for now. Over the next couple weeks, things are likely to rapidly change and it is pretty certain there will be a shelter in place order, preventing any but truly essential businesses to operate.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Closed again.

MARCH 20, 2020 UPDATE
Pursuant to Executive Order N-33-20, issued on March 19, 2020 by the Governor of California, Collectors Universe’s Orange County office has closed until it is deemed safe to resume operations.

As a result, Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) have temporarily ceased operations, effective immediately.

It is evident to all that we are in uncharted territory. For now, the larger public good mandates this closure. We will share our reopen date once it is established by the state of California.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and please stay healthy.

Sincerely,

Brett Charville
President, PCGS

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Maybe they could work from home...?

Plus all those identical modern commemoratives and bullion pieces could be mechanically binned and slabbed - no one would be the wiser given the non-differences between "MS-69" and "MS-70." [Well, that might be slightly too cynical a proposal.]

PS: There appears to be a reduction in postings on all the hobby message boards. Just a casual observation. Do coin shows help drive on-line conversations?

:)

morganman

Post by morganman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 pm

IMHO; Why not simply CLOSE The Good Old Boys CLUB permantly, allowing TPG to be decently
service pricing. I am not a fan,but NGC is worse IMHO
:|

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:33 am

I guess the curmudgeon is coming out in me. But can anyone explain to me why would I consider this thread important?

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 am

LateDateMorganGuy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:33 am
I guess the curmudgeon is coming out in me. But can anyone explain to me why would I consider this thread important?
To let folks know that if they have an order in to PGCS that it has been delayed.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 am

well, I had a few more to get graded but now it really seems irrelevant.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 am

LateDateMorganGuy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:33 am
Expressing our individual concerns is a way of reducing stress and managing uncertainty. It can manifest in many forms but the underlying issues are the same. Curmudgeonly or not, it is the expression that is important,

:)