1923 1BP or something else?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Pareidoliac

1923 1BP or something else?

Post by Pareidoliac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Spent a lot of time getting to the VAM I believe is most likely here: a VAM-1BP Die File Lines Wing, but there's only one photo in the listing and no other verbiage by which to definitively nail it down. Of particular interest here is a deep diagonal die scratch below G of GOD that I did not pin down on another '23 VAM. I may have missed it and am continuing to comb through the VAM list again as it may appear on the hammer die of another VAM.
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

davidkclose

Re: 1923 1BP or something else?

Post by davidkclose » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:11 pm

The die file lines on the wing appear to match the photo of VAM 1BP. I am not sure if the line under G is a die scratch or PMD.

Pareidoliac

Post by Pareidoliac » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks David. The diagonal line/scratch is a raised “speed bump”. Under magnification there are PMD lines running over top of the bump. Whatever caused the blackish scrape in that area “rode” over the speed bump cutting into it. Under magnification from certain angles the lines running over top of the bump give the bump a beaded appearance. I’m 99% certain it’s a die scratch. The photo I provided is not my best effort. I’ll upload a better one.

How might I find full obverse photos of the discovery coin?

Pareidoliac

Post by Pareidoliac » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:56 pm

David,

Here are two additional photos of the deep diagonal die scratch below G of GOD. While still not the best photos, the bottom one in particular shows there is PMD "riding" over the raised scratch. Under the loop it looks as if the edge of another coin scraped the bump. If you were to accept that the speed bump is not PMD, my questions are these:

(1) Does the discovery coin also have this die scratch? I don't know if it's possible to contact the discoverer or if the site administrator does that. I've seen at least one other Peace dollar listing in which some details were mentioned as unlisted and no photos of the unlisted details were shown, so perhaps the discovery coin also has this die scratch.

(2) If the answer to (1) above is no, then would this be a possible new VAM, i.e. a 1BP1? If that's a good possibility, I'd consider sending it to Leroy. First, I plan to send it to Varslab for authentication as a 1BP.

Thanks much.
Attachments

davidkclose

Post by davidkclose » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 pm

I did not make the discovery, so I cannot answer your question regarding the discovery coin. If this is a die scratch & not PMD then it certainly is listable & would be much easier to attribute than file lines on the wing.
Hope this is helpful.