General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
hairfield1

What's Going on at the FUN?

Post by hairfield1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Kinda quiet down there

morganman

Re: What's Going on at the FUN?

Post by morganman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 pm

To Hairfield; With the current mkt, table fees, travel/lodging, etc, most likely a ton of old unhappy
grey haired men, trying to scratch out a living, the same old way that isnt working
anymore. A few progressive coin tekkie's that are doing well, leaving the others in dust
using internet & newer marketing tools available to the astuit dealers.

Its not real fun anymore as making money from Numismatics has become challenging at best.
Unfortunately thats reality today. Trading among mostly other dealers sucks.
Many refuse to acknowledge the downward spiral of Numismatics in general, however
i am a realist first and a collector/investor theirafter.

Raining on the parade is tough but the industry has been losing premiums for several yrs,
most likely from lack of public discretionary dollars and bullion weakness, especially silver.
Good luck to all out there trying to buck a negative trend
My prayers for all the BM stores/shops struggling to survive, thank god for scrap metals
purchases/sales to defray overhead costs of keeping doors open.

MY RANT HAS ENDED LOL LOL
:|

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:13 pm

morganman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 pm
To Hairfield; With the current mkt, table fees, travel/lodging, etc, most likely a ton of old unhappy
grey haired men, trying to scratch out a living, the same old way that isnt working
anymore. A few progressive coin tekkie's that are doing well, leaving the others in dust
using internet & newer marketing tools available to the astuit dealers.

Its not real fun anymore as making money from Numismatics has become challenging at best.
Unfortunately thats reality today. Trading among mostly other dealers sucks.
Many refuse to acknowledge the downward spiral of Numismatics in general, however
i am a realist first and a collector/investor theirafter.

Raining on the parade is tough but the industry has been losing premiums for several yrs,
most likely from lack of public discretionary dollars and bullion weakness, especially silver.
Good luck to all out there trying to buck a negative trend
My prayers for all the BM stores/shops struggling to survive, thank god for scrap metals
purchases/sales to defray overhead costs of keeping doors open.

MY RANT HAS ENDED LOL LOL

Can’t comment on right or wrong about your statement.
But I will say, it is too much FUN picking coins by hand. And you don’t have much fellowship surfing for coins on the net.
I really hope to make it to the FUN show some day.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:23 pm

Having the Orlando house remodeled right now as we speak. I will be able to make FUN again likely starting in 2022. "Maybe" 2021 (next year). Is a lot of FUN and camaraderie. Only downside is a LOT of VAMmers going over the bourse inventory. The Early Birds usually win, but not always.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:28 am

FUN is busy!

J.R.'s annual 12-coin list was presented and there are some really interesting ones. The list should already be linked here on the site.

A wonderful talk was given at VAM Thing about the multiple later die state progressions of 1889 VAM 23A. While the moose itself has very few, and profoundly expensive, examples available, the B, C and D versions should be readily available to everybody.

An SSDC VAM price guide is well in the works, and will be pretty impressive if we can pull it off. The projected launch is within 30 days.

There was one monster 'pick made that I saw, but I want the owner to post his own confession.
When in doubt... don't.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:09 am

Price guide?? YES!!!! Can't wait to (hopefully) hear about the monster pick!

morganman

Post by morganman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 am

SUPER EXCITING DENNIS; Thanks much for post-- Great pickins to all at FUN
:|

dave700x

Post by dave700x » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Great update teaser Dennis. Looking forward to further update posts regarding these.... 8-)
1883-O nut

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Only looked at it and laughed, didn't try cherrypicking or an attribution
Attachments
IMG_1878.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg (235.93 KiB) Viewed 347 times
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Seriously though, I'll post my Dozen VAMs for 2020 and the SSDC Registry Awards tomorrow. Maybe later today if I get caught up elsewhere.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Man I hate to see it when people decide "Ehh, maybe this wasn't the best choice for a pet" and release those things into the wild...
Well, maybe they can challenge the pythons for king of the invasive species down there.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:19 pm

vampicker wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm
Seriously though, I'll post my Dozen VAMs for 2020 and the SSDC Registry Awards tomorrow. Maybe later today if I get caught up elsewhere.
NEED a 45A, and thanks for putting the 32 on the radar screens 🧐
Alonzi VW 2.0!

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 am

Did anyone 'other' than David Lisott record the events of the day? His work is for profit and would need permission to print on You Tube and I have no idea at what cost...kenny
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ah........Uhm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

fogie

Post by fogie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm

THE MONSTER REPORT!!!! I got to cherry an 1878-P VAM 14.7 RAW. I sent it to PCGS STAT and am waiting for the to decide what grade to call it. The few that saw it seemed to think it should be an MS63. I hope so. I am confident it will prove worth my $360.00 investment at any rate. The great day that set up did not end there! I got an 1841 seated dollar "several" years ago and after Dick Osborn did his talk last year - I got home and attributed my seated dollars. The aforementioned looked to me like a (very rare)(proof) OC-P1 but was circulated to XF and I was "not confident" so i showed it to Dick Osborn and Brian Cushing and they agree it is the 6th known 1841 Proof dollar known! Happy day that will be hard to outdo. Hope to hear about some other finds. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Yup. Brent was the biggest SUCKer this year!
Alonzi VW 2.0!

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 pm

WTG Brent!

Andy Hansen

Post by Andy Hansen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Fogie, you the man.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm

I submitted the coin for Mr. Lucky and I think it's a 63. Obverse is all the way PL/DMPL, but the reverse isn't quite PL in my opinion.

WAY TO GO BRENT!!
When in doubt... don't.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm

fogie wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm
THE MONSTER REPORT!!!! I got to cherry an 1878-P VAM 14.7 RAW. I sent it to PCGS STAT and am waiting for the to decide what grade to call it. The few that saw it seemed to think it should be an MS63. I hope so. I am confident it will prove worth my $360.00 investment at any rate. The great day that set up did not end there! I got an 1841 seated dollar "several" years ago and after Dick Osborn did his talk last year - I got home and attributed my seated dollars. The aforementioned looked to me like a (very rare)(proof) OC-P1 but was circulated to XF and I was "not confident" so i showed it to Dick Osborn and Brian Cushing and they agree it is the 6th known 1841 Proof dollar known! Happy day that will be hard to outdo. Hope to hear about some other finds. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Great pick, and nice find inside your collection! My cherrypicks were limited to a few more common ones, all from the same dealer that just bought 8 binders of toned, mostly uncirculated, coins -- probably about 2000 or so coins, mostly common dates. I picked out a 78 VAM 43, an 86 VAM 21, two 96 VAM 4, and an 88 with light "Whitman" toning. I left a couple 83-O VAM 36A and another 86 VAM 21. Had I pulled my loupe out and spent a lot more time there, I'm sure there would have been other stuff, but I just did a "naked eye" scan.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:03 am

Slim pickings for me and no holes filled; upgraded my 78-S V20 to PCGS 64PL (ho-hum); got a raw AU-ish 78-V116C; while waiting for folks to go to dinner, picked an unattributed NGC-MS 62 V171 for $110 delivered from the 'Bay. Got in today, and it has solid SPL stunning OBV. Great show; lots of quality time spent with fellow VAMMERs. As for the Fogie 14.7 pick, he got it from a dealer that abhors VAMMERs; once pulley's a box out of my hands at a TX show, so all the more Kudos for being able to pick and justice well served.