Peeling Lamination - Not gradeable?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Windycity

Peeling Lamination - Not gradeable?

Post by Windycity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Submitted this to PCGS knowing it had peeling lamination but assuming is was a faulty planchet and therefore a mint error. PCGS would not holder the coin due to "Peeling Lamination". Mint error? Post Mint Damage?

Kissov

Re: Peeling Lamination - Not gradeable?

Post by Kissov » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:47 pm

From PCGS:
Coins with a peeling lamination cannot be holdered, as in the process of sonic sealing, it is very possible for the lamination to become detached from the coin. A lamination is a planchet defect originating when a portion of the coin metal separates from itself due to impurities or internal stresses. Lamination flaws occur primarily when foreign materials or gas oxide become trapped within the planchet.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 pm

Sure they will.

Depends on if they think it's a worthwhile example and worth the risk of encapsulation.

Might have to fight for it and call them up while the order is in their facility and give permission for them to do it, but I can say with 100% certainty that they've done it before...
It's coming... :popcorn:

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Can't help but sounds like Kissov has the answer. But I have always wondered how this one never fell off. It is in PCGS plastic as a "planchet error".
Attachments
1902 O V54 Obverse 2.jpg
1902 O V54 Obverse 2.jpg (182.04 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 pm

Trust me, they will straight grade the right one...

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:06 am

Very nice guys!

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:47 am

If they think the peel is at a point where it has a decent likelyhood of flaking off in the holder they will body bag it. If they think it's still attached well, they'll slab it. It's a judgment call..
Alonzi VW 2.0!

Kissov

Post by Kissov » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:47 am
If they think the peel is at a point where it has a decent likelyhood of flaking off in the holder they will body bag it. If they think it's still attached well, they'll slab it. It's a judgment call..
Right.

I think the key is the word "peeling", which implies high potential to be displaced.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Kissov wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm
CascadeChris wrote:
Right.

I think the key is the word "peeling", which implies high potential to be displaced.
Negative.

They will slab both pieces as long as they can 100% tell it's from the same planchet.

It's just a "coolness" call when they do it. They won't do one that they feel isn't worth the case...

Kissov

Post by Kissov » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:13 pm

So in the case of the cent, did PCGS cause the separation or were the separate pieces submitted?

It seems like the PCGS policy implies that they can use their discretion in deciding whether to certify or body bag a particular piece.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Kissov wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:13 pm
So in the case of the cent, did PCGS cause the separation or were the separate pieces submitted?

It seems like the PCGS policy implies that they can use their discretion in deciding whether to certify or body bag a particular piece.
Separate pieces.

Their discretion: 100%... and I've seen coins sent 5 times before they were slabbed. Some submitters fight hard for graded error labels. PCGS is weird...

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm

TheYokel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm
Kissov wrote:
CascadeChris wrote:
Right.

Negative.

They will slab both pieces as long as they can 100% tell it's from the same planchet.

It's just a "coolness" call when they do it. They won't do one that they feel isn't worth the case...
Negative what?

Also, negative to you. Yes, they have to be able to tell that they're from the same coin. But that is hardly ever an issue as each piece is highly unique to one another like a puzzle piece..

The biggest factor to them slabbing both the coin and a fully detached piece together is whether or not they have a gasket size that can securely fit and hold each piece in the slab. I'm in Vegas Ant. Dont make me come over there and beat you over the head with the E from the Encore building sign! :lol:
Alonzi VW 2.0!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm
TheYokel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm
Kissov wrote:

Right.

Negative.

Negative what?

Also, negative to you. Yes, they have to be able to tell that they're from the same coin. But that is hardly ever an issue as each piece is highly unique to one another like a puzzle piece..

The biggest factor to them slabbing both the coin and a fully detached piece together is whether or not they have a gasket size that can securely fit and hold each piece in the slab. I'm in Vegas Ant. Dont make me come over there and beat you over the head with the E from the Encore building sign! :lol:
Nah, they'll pinch the piece in the gasket or let it just go floppy in the slab if they like it. Nothing to do with the gasket/case. Everything to do with the coin at hand...

And i normally stay at the Cromwell... How long you in town?

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 pm

That's an extraordinary case. My guess is someone had some pull to get that piece wedged into the side of a gasket like that ;)
Alonzi VW 2.0!

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm

It also depends if you want to pay the extra $55 for the error tier.