What is the best way to buy Morgans

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
qwas

What is the best way to buy Morgans

Post by qwas » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:10 pm

I am wanting to divest myself of my paper money collection and put said money towards Morgans. What would be the best way to purchase morgans in an unsearched state?

TheYokel

Re: What is the best way to buy Morgans

Post by TheYokel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm

qwas wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:10 pm
I am wanting to divest myself of my paper money collection and put said money towards Morgans. What would be the best way to purchase morgans in an unsearched state?
All morgans are searched. Just depends by whom and what they were searching for (grade, vam, etc)...

Are you purchasing for investment or for fun?
It's coming... :popcorn:

qwas

Post by qwas » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 pm

A little bit of both to be fair. I like the Morgans but also like silver. I see rolls on ebay that are claimed to be original. They go for much too high in my opinion. My biggest fear is buying a lot and finding half of them are chinese knock offs. I inherit3ed 100 Morgans as part of my Mom's husbands collection and have liked them ever since. Find them vry interesting to go over with my new celestron usb microscope. Still learning.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 pm

qwas wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 pm
A little bit of both to be fair. I like the Morgans but also like silver. I see rolls on ebay that are claimed to be original. They go for much too high in my opinion. My biggest fear is buying a lot and finding half of them are chinese knock offs. I inherit3ed 100 Morgans as part of my Mom's husbands collection and have liked them ever since. Find them vry interesting to go over with my new celestron usb microscope. Still learning.
And they have CCs on the ends, right? Yeah, don't buy rolls off eBay. Single coins you have good photos of? Sure. Great place to hunt if you have the patience.

Chinese knockoffs: stick to BU and that won't be an issue. Stick to graded and it's virtually zero (outside the contemporaries). No reason to try to buy cull Morgans for silver value anyways, there's lots of pre-64 90% stuff you can buy at melt in lots of groups if you want coins for silver value.

Really no risk in fake BU morgans though. Risk of buying a cleaned coin that looks pretty and is virtually worthless, yes. But not so much fake.
It's coming... :popcorn:

bob259

Post by bob259 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Coin stores or coin shows are best for looking for VAMs as most dealers today don't know much and you can see them in hand. Advertisements for rolls that grade a certain way generally don't make the grade. If you are buying for fun and want the VAM search then stick with the Morgans or Peace. If strickly for investment I, personally, would buy silver rounds. Cheaper and easier to sell. Average or low grade Morgans will not get the return. Depending on your money I say buy some Morgans for the hunt and some rounds for the investment. But remember as YOKEL says all Morgans have been searched BUT not necessarily for VAMs. Also remember not all VAMs are in demand as to be able to make money on them.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 pm

"Unsearched" rolls do come up now again. By that I mean rolls that were direct from 50s-60s treasury bags and they've just sat as an investment for decades. The guy dies or decides to liquidate in his later years. We are in. Prime era for that with those collectors now diying off or are old enough to want to liquidate. Similar to WW2 stuff hitting the market for the last 10ys or so. The trick to being the guy that buys those rolls is simple. Its all a matter of timing and luck. Ebay "unsearched" rolls, however, are a complete scam.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

qwas

Post by qwas » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Thank you, as a Canadian I don't have a lot of access to coin shows and the nearest dealer is 2.5 hrs. away. So I am at the mercy of online searching.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:21 pm

As an aside, Peace dollars are stupid cheap right now IMO. You can get rolls of BU's from major dealers for around$400

JackBnimble01

Post by JackBnimble01 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:27 pm

I disagree about buying culls or low end! I bought thousands of Morgan
And peace for cheap, then when silver went up so did my return! Double and tripled my investment! Is it bad to buy a coin for 10 bucks then sell it for 30?
Better then the fake stock market,
Unless you have inside information like our corrupt congress has, and then Your Exempted from those law!
I Stick with the fundamentals!
Do what you think is right!

Brabjohn

Post by Brabjohn » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 pm

I would recommend looking at 1921 Morgan’s. They still sell for way less than they should and can be found in nice BU rolls.

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 pm

What about the folks who looked at Vams years ago? I mean late 70's and 80's. Did they not get a jump on ever body else who look at vams today? I want to state things further but I don't butt heads with nobody!! The old timers here know what I am talking about!!!

qwas

Post by qwas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Well I managed to find a couple listed vams from the morgans I inherited, thanks to those who helped me identify them. Nothing big but it got me wanting to hunt more So next time I go visit Mom there is another old guy, a friend of theirs, who wants to sell me his few coins too. He has only three morgans but at 15 each what the hey. He also has a gold eagle 1881 that he will take 350 for so that is cool because it will be my very first gold coin ever.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:37 pm

qwas wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 pm
Well I managed to find a couple listed vams from the morgans I inherited, thanks to those who helped me identify them. Nothing big but it got me wanting to hunt more So next time I go visit Mom there is another old guy, a friend of theirs, who wants to sell me his few coins too. He has only three morgans but at 15 each what the hey. He also has a gold eagle 1881 that he will take 350 for so that is cool because it will be my very first gold coin ever.
If only I could go back to that golden era of just getting into VAMs and searching my collection for once hidden gems. Good times..
Alonzi VW 2.0!

qwas

Post by qwas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm 56 and I love the innocence of not having a clue but just enjoying the fact that I have Morgans and can look at them and enjoy.them. Yes I know they also have at least a silver value but I think they are just cool to have.

Prider358

Post by Prider358 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi qwas, I've been collecting 'MORGANS' for the last 9 yrs. Gotta be the best coin ever minted. Got into 'VAMMING' Morgans just over a year ago. Gotta love that 'MORGAN DOLLAR'.

qwas

Post by qwas » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 am

I really like the old Canadian silver dollars as well but for some reason I have gone over to Morgans and American silver in general and Canadian paper notes. I especially like all two dollar notes

qwas

Post by qwas » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:27 pm

What would be really cool is if there was someone close to me that would help me learn I am in Golden BC Canada.

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 pm

My long time friend shared with me to collect what you like visually.
So if what you see is a variety at a wholesale price level and you like it buy it.
Mike

dantvams

Post by dantvams » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi, qwas. Welcome. Sent you a PM.