Back from Summer Seminar

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

Back from Summer Seminar

Post by messydesk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 pm

For the fourth time, I've had the pleasure and privilege of teaching the Collecting and Investing in Morgan Dollars class at the ANA Summer Seminar this week. We had 9 awesome students who enjoyed "drinking through a fire hose" as we covered history, grading, toning, problem coins, design evolution, varieties, errors, assorted research projects, passed around a lot of coins, and made some others. I expect a few of them to be joining here and introducing themselves fairly soon. This year's SSDC Scholarship winner, John Wayne, will be writing an article about his experiences that will be distributed in a VAM-e newsletter. Michael Fey is probably on his way down from his hike up Pikes Peak right now -- an après séminaire trip I keep telling myself I'll make one of these days.

Being a collector with a normal day job, I rarely get the opportunity to hang out for this long at a time with a bunch of coin people, and every time I do, it energizes my enthusiasm for the hobby.

If you get the chance to go to the Summer Seminar, do it. YNs have access to a lot of scholarships, so if you know any coin collectors under 18, encourage them to apply for them. Many of these are funded by a benefit auction that the YNs run each week. This year, the Eric Newman foundation matched the auction proceeds dollar for dollar, resulting in over $68000 being raised for YN scholarships.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay

Re: Back from Summer Seminar

Post by DHalladay » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 am

I really, really want to do this some day.
When in doubt... don't.

playtime1

Post by playtime1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:17 pm

John

Its great that you take the time to teach the future young Numismatists such great information. I, too am envious of
the summer school students. Maybe one day when I retire I can sit in on a class or two. Please continue the great work which you provide us here, while passing on knowledge to your new students. JL

ashmore86

Post by ashmore86 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:44 am

I really want to be the instructor again at the ANA event. I could resurrect the Advanced Morgan Dollar Collecting course or do this with you, but I really want to do it...