Hmmmmmmmmm.....

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
blh74

Re: It's Finally In-Hand... Is It a New E Discovery?... Muahaha...

Post by blh74 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am

A big NO. Positioning is everything.

lured_in_again

Post by lured_in_again » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26 am

Location, location, location.... that's 3 strikes as i alluded to right off the bat.

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 am

Most of us on this thread have all been there. It looks like there could be an "E" but man! it ain't there. It's called a phantom "E" because your mind wants it to be there. You are just in the stages of becoming a better VAMmer. I have a few phantom "E's" myself.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 am

Pat,
Does that coin of yours also have a phantom D and n?

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:03 am

Anyone taking odds that it will end up in Sidney regardless?

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:32 am

1/1
And I'll take the over.
But in all seriousness fellas, we all know Ant has been, uhhh, rambunctious, but the guy does seem like he's trying....
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Tekkie1

Post by Tekkie1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:37 am

Probably, but we still won't get the results even though we already know them. :lol:

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:02 am

CascadeChris wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 pm
Yokel, look at the neck line clash above the wing. It's a rotated G clash line which means that the E would be set more to the left under the 1st or 2nd left TF's if it transfered and not pushed way over to the right hugging the bow loop.

A good rule of thumb when dealing with weak phantom E's is to first check the exculpatory evidence I.E. stuff that would rule out an E clash.. With a rotation like that, the E wouldn't be next to the bow loop. I do see what you see, it's an "evil" phantom for sure, so you get a pass on this one but a phantom nonetheless..
Thank you for the direction boss. I'll get better at this hunting for an E thing. I've found two 91-O 1A's (those don't count lol) and my newest 36A, so I'm still learning where to look based on clash lines. Tell me if this picture on the bottom would be in the correct vicinity? (Next to the wreath leaves below the second TF)
ljs123 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:38 pm
What I find interesting about this thread is how others have called the strikes.
Pretty much everyone has called strike one.
I believe that I am the only one that has called strike two and three on the swing and miss clash claims.
You miss every pitch you don't swing at. I have fun regardless of the score... I just enjoy spending the short time we all have left on this rock doing the activities that I find entertainment in. Others seem to find enjoyment in making odious comments towards members of their own communuty. Want to know why new members probably just read and never post? All the in-fighting in threads like the ones earlier in the week and comments they read like these that make them feel like if they post something they'll just be met with comments like these.

Mr Lee, you were one of the very first people to welcome me here on VW and pm me to help me. Not sure where I've upset you in the recent past, but still very grateful for your initial welcoming here. Undoubtedly there will be strikes 4 and 5 one day, but maybe Casey won't strike out in the end. There's 9 innings in a game, and I'm taking more than one at-bat. :)
Tekkie1 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:37 am
Probably, but we still won't get the results even though we already know them. :lol:
I already told you the forum was wrong about Rodney Dangerfield. No, you didn't know the answer, and yes, I was completely correct standing my ground saying it wasn't a Slanted Date eagle. For over a full page I posted pictures of the polishing lines around the bird, and instead of using the new information provided to try to narrow it down, the forum dug their heels in and kept browbeating the Slanted Date angle... (rimshot)

I said last week i would make a separate post when I found the cardboard mailer with the coins to take pictures... But here's his letter.

Rodney was a VAM44B Beveled Eagle... Not a VAM38. I even straight up asked Leroy to check against it and his response is under the VAM attribution. If the forum had been helping with what I was posting right, instead of laughing at what I was posting wrong, that would have been an easy attribution.

-Ant
Last edited by TheYokel on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:20 am

Vam-mysterio wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm
I do see something
I was told the location was off, would this be a better shot at being "something"? Thank you for the response boss.
"There is no E"...

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:03 am

lioncutter wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 am
Most of us on this thread have all been there. It looks like there could be an "E" but man! it ain't there. It's called a phantom "E" because your mind wants it to be there. You are just in the stages of becoming a better VAMmer. I have a few phantom "E's" myself.
I've saved all the ones I've been shot down on so far just to remind me lol. :)

A broken clock is right eventually... I'mma find my E one day :lol:

Thanks for the kind response boss.
"There is no E"...

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm not upset.
You have made three clashed letter claims on this coin (E, D, & n).
I see no E, strike one.
I see no D, strike two.
I see no n, strike three.
No emotion of any sort. Just commenting on what I see, or what I don't see.

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:23 pm

They are all playing nice , their is no E ..When you find your first E you will not forget the spot .
Out in Death Valley the heat carry ate images , like water in the distance . The E is out their .

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:29 pm

Is that 'stand your ground' mentality serving you well here?
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 pm

ljs123 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41 pm
I'm not upset.
You have made three clashed letter claims on this coin (E, D, & n).
I see no E, strike one.
I see no D, strike two.
I see no n, strike three.
No emotion of any sort. Just commenting on what I see, or what I don't see.
Hmmm. I'm still learning transfer... But i thought these were the letters in question.
colwillys wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:23 pm
They are all playing nice , their is no E ..When you find your first E you will not forget the spot .
Out in Death Valley the heat carry ate images , like water in the distance . The E is out their .
I've found 3 clashed E Morgans so far. I'm looking for *my* E :) Might take a while considering my learning speed is set to "uphill train" lol :) But.. I have faith there's still one out there, and every timei get a coin shot down, I learn a little something to use on the next one. And there will alwaysbe a next one... I'm not giving up on my E lol ;)
vampicker wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:29 pm
Is that 'stand your ground' mentality serving you well here?
I haven't defended anything in this thread once. I'm not sure where your statement comes from.

Last edited by TheYokel on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no E"...

Tekkie1

Post by Tekkie1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:11 pm

I have seen most of your threads since the beginning and I can't remember anyone having as much help, opinions, and guidance that has offered to help you. You should consider yourself lucky for all the members that have attempted to do so but instead, you refuse to accept any info the members give Boss.
As far as what you sent to LVA, you still didn't get an "E" out of it like we all told you you wouldn't page after page after page.
Personally, I think you just enjoy stringing us along and I won't participate in it any further.
I think at some point you finally have to look in the mirror and ask, " is there something wrong with the whole world or is it just me"?
Best of luck. :)

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Tekkie1 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:11 pm
I have seen most of your threads since the beginning and I can't remember anyone having as much help, opinions, and guidance that has offered to help you. You should consider yourself lucky for all the members that have attempted to do so but instead, you refuse to accept any info the members give Boss.
As far as what you sent to LVA, you still didn't get an "E" out of it like we all told you you wouldn't page after page after page.
Personally, I think you just enjoy stringing us along and I won't participate in it any further.
I think at some point you finally have to look in the mirror and ask, " is there something wrong with the whole world or is it just me"?
Best of luck. :)
Sorry you feel that way. I've said in multiple threads this month to new member posts: that they have nothing to fear, that after how asinine my initial threads were that you guys are awesome about not giving up on new members and welcome aboard. I still feel that way. You guys really went above and beyond to help guide me. I hope I've gotten a little better in the last few months. I've only been VAMing since November (ok the end of Oct) after-all. Some on here have been looking at coins longer than I've been alive. Remember what it was like buying and inspecting your first Morgan? I do, because it was last year.

Funny enough, in 5 short months I've been claimed to have been a disgruntled ex-collector from your old site... Someone's alt account for a member still on this site... And a clueless noob who is duller than safety scissors. One of those is definitely correct (I still wouldn't run with me though).

The nomenclature I'm given honestly doesn't bother me, except to the point I'm being blamed for stringing people along just to get a rise out of them. That i honestly don't do boss. Y'all can think of whomever sitting behind the screen, but please don't think I'm being malicious in my posts. I'd much rather share a beer over a VAM book with any of y'all than cause an argument with anyone. Apparently there's a small show in Vegas in May... If anyone's there, scotch and Opus are on me...

If nothing else, my enthusiasm should show that i honestly do enjoy doing this, and that I'm here to have fun and learn with a like-minded community. Perhaps in another 5 months I may sway a few of you back to the side of pleasantries instead of negative postulations.

And i never said i was sending Rodney to him to look for an E. I sent it because I said if it came back a VAM38 I'd buy a new member a year to SSDC. Never had any intention of it coming back with an E. I did have him check the neck and hair though. Big swing and a miss on that lol :lol:

And I've thanked every person, every time, I've ever asked a question. Might staunchly defend an idiotic claim once in a while... But thankful for the learning lesson, none-the-less :)

This definitely won't be my last "Is It An E?!" post, though. I'll be buried or blind before I quit hunting for my E :lol:

I'm just trying to up my batting-percentage with the other claims lol.
"There is no E"...

VernP

Post by VernP » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:51 pm

First off I am a new guy to the VAM world as well. Less than 3 years. I understand the want to find that first discovery coin as much as anyone else. A little piece of advice...the chances of finding a new clashed E on a Morgan are about as good as winning the Powerball. If these guys say it ain't there.....it ain't there and let it go. Bombing more pics won't make it appear. If you do have something they haven't seen they will say so in the first reply. A couple of the people that have responded to your post actually do this for a living and could just say send it to me with proper payment and return postage and I'll tell you what it is then. They are providing advice free of charge and with patience. Good luck in your journey. Vern

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm

VernP wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:51 pm
First off I am a new guy to the VAM world as well. Less than 3 years. I understand the want to find that first discovery coin as much as anyone else. A little piece of advice...the chances of finding a new clashed E on a Morgan are about as good as winning the Powerball. If these guys say it ain't there.....it ain't there and let it go. Bombing more pics won't make it appear. If you do have something they haven't seen they will say so in the first reply. A couple of the people that have responded to your post actually do this for a living and could just say send it to me with proper payment and return postage and I'll tell you what it is then. They are providing advice free of charge and with patience. Good luck in your journey. Vern
I've got my first 10-pack sending off to LVA on Monday to scratch the discovery and kill itch. One of my peace dollars from last year got the ok on here to send in for an unlisted collar clash, so I'm hoping to pad the rejections with at least one vetted coin. :lol:

I'd be lying if I said there weren't at least two in there that included the phrase "please check for transfer under the tail feathers" lol. Would be amusing if after my second or third send he just sent back my good listings with pictures and my rejections labeled as tally marks labeled "No E" :lol:

Per the pictures: I'm only posting the supposed (to me) letter clashes to help me learn for the next one. If I'm looking for the D (giggity) in the wrong spot... I need to know for the next attempt :)

I make no reservations about being labeled crazy to search so hard for a new E after so many people have looked for so many years. I made it my signature last year just to remind me...

... but i mean, someone wins the Powerball every month. Have to buy the ticket to play... ;)

Thanks for the kind words Mr Vern.

-Ant
"There is no E"...

twohawks

Post by twohawks » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:28 pm

I have had the E Clash scratch on my retina for some time now. The location is everything! the tilt and angle have to be dead on, and if you have to have more than 2 photos showing it.....then its not present. if you only use 1 photo and put 3 arrows pointing at what your talking about its "REALLY NOT THERE"

Raybob15239

Post by Raybob15239 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 am

Ant, you should get credit for one kill for the duplicate listing you found on the 1889 1D1 and the 1G. Chiefret. was the discoverer of the 1G. We met up at the ANA show to examine our two discovery pieces and we confirmed that his 2017 1G Discovery was the same as my 2007 1D discovery(now 1D1).

I admit that I have questioned why you would post so many photos, but I saw it as rookie exuberance and never suspected malice of any kind. Finding that first discovery and getting that monkey off your back will be big for you. I hope it comes sooner rather than later. But I do agree that at some point, when you have VAMPicker and Messydesk telling you the same thing, it is pretty much guaranteed to be exactly what they are saying.

Keep looking, Ant. You will get that discovery monkey off your back. ;)
Last edited by Raybob15239 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I swear, someday I will learn how to grade Peace Dollars!