1926 S Double Shoulder Spike Clash

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Raybob15239

1926 S Double Shoulder Spike Clash

Post by Raybob15239 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:52 pm

I took a long lunch hour and headed down to the ANA show where I met up with Larry (ChiefRet.) and talked with Brian (Vamsterdam), which was great! I took a little bit of time and searched through a few boxes of raw 1926 S Peace Dollars looking for the wild double spike wonder I thought I bought on ebay, only to receive the wrong coin from the Seller (TheConsignmentHub) who later blocked me when I returned it...

Anyway, i probably looked at about 150-200 examples of 26-S. I was shocked at how few clashed examples I saw (even single spikes). I did find two potential unlisted clashes. Unfortunately, the most interesting one is in very rough shape, but the close, long, double spikes are there. I did not get the supplement yet, so I can't say for sure that it is unlisted, but I tought I would post it here to get the groups' thoughts. (I apologize for the crappy pics; cell phone camera through a 10x loupe... not my finest work.)

The first is pretty worn... it may be a 2F4...it may not. What do you think?
26-2 Double spike.jpg
26-2 Double spike.jpg (130.54 KiB) Viewed 384 times
The other has a prominent, long, single spike and a nub.
26S double long w Nub.jpg
26S double long w Nub.jpg (168.15 KiB) Viewed 384 times
Are either of these worthy of going into my April/May LVA package?

Thanks

Ray
I swear, someday I will learn how to grade Peace Dollars!

crabscrape

Re: 1926 S Double Shoulder Spike Clash

Post by crabscrape » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:29 am

Ray,
I know now You will never know the coin we traded! However, you are right by saying what you said. Yes, I sent the coin to David Close. I believe he is wrong and he has a pipe line to Leroy. I can prove that and EDS from and LDS in a series that will not be question! Not to take any thing from MR. David Close but I believe the EDS and LDS Just look at the 23sVam 1AQ Better yet Look at the 1922S Vam 2O that all the Fuzz was about!

Raybob15239

Re: 1926 S Double Shoulder Spike Clash

Post by Raybob15239 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:12 am

You're driving me crazy, Jimmy. I have racked my brain, gone through my notes, dug through files and I still cannot figure out which one it is. Spill it! 😂

What did I give you and what did I get in return? Is it in the 2F family?
I swear, someday I will learn how to grade Peace Dollars!