Old Wiki Page Editing Cutoff

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

Old Wiki Page Editing Cutoff

Post by messydesk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 am

As part of the migration of the wiki (everything on VAMworld but the messages), I will announce a last chance to edit pages here. This will probably be early August, but a specific date will be announced at least 1 week ahead of time.

After the cutoff date, I will set the wiki to read-only and take a snapshot of what's here so that I can then import it into the new wiki. Once the new wiki is fully assembled, I will open it up for edits by people who have signed up for an account on the new wiki. Note that it is a separate account from the message board, and there is no need to have a wiki account if you don't make edits or upload stuff.

Part of the migration will include resizing images to be no larger than 1100 pixels in their longer dimension and no more than 1.5 MB. This is to optimize the storage, the network traffic (with AWS we pay for both of these), and the responsiveness of the wiki. One of the casualties of this will be the very large, composite images, which will become rather narrow in order to fit the size restriction. I highly recommend against uploading these types of images, as long-term maintenance of a VAM page is much easier if the important images of a composite are uploaded individually, such that they can be easily replaced if needed in the future. It's also easier to avoid needless multiple images of the same feature (a recurring complaint of VW users) if composites aren't used.

There are a few other tasks I will be doing between now and when the new wiki is opened for editing. I will need to take include translation of some of the formatting strings that show up on some pages. I'll try to get them all, but since I'm automating this for over 8000 pages, some stuff will slip through. I will also have to make a few page templates, as they work differently with MediaWiki than with Wikispaces. There may also be a way for me to intercept uploads that are too big and resize them automatically rather than reject the upload, but I have to look into that.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

impairedsquirrel

Re: Old Wiki Page Editing Cutoff

Post by impairedsquirrel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am

Not on topic, but, along the lines of an earlier VAMworld discussion, can we get a "What's My VAM Worth?" forum in this neighborhood?
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

ChiefRet.

Post by ChiefRet. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:58 am

I agree to a point.
Should this be public or private?

ChiefRet.

Post by ChiefRet. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 am

I'm sorry, but Ebay wants to know.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 pm

It looks like the old home page is now no longer open for editing. I was wondering about doing the VAM of the Week for next week and it seems like its up in the air for now.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm

I just unlocked the home page. I may have locked it when trying to disable posting to the message board. That setting was hidden somewhere else.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Beautiful, thanks JB!
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Gentlemen,

I am sure with the talent we have around here. Somebody will come up with something GOOD!!!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:43 pm

The last date to update the wiki on the old VAMWorld will be August 4. I will be locking the wiki (all VAM pages, other pages) sometime on Sunday, August 5, at which point I will download everything, which will probably take most of a day. I will then spend a lot of time converting the downloaded pages and images to the format I need for the new wiki. When I'm sufficiently satisfied that this conversion works quite well (not perfectly, as there are 8000 pages to convert), I will upload everything to the new wiki, and any existing test pages on the new wiki with the same names as those being imported will be clobbered. I'm still figuring out how templates will work, but I expect that I'll handle that at the same time. I'm hoping that by the time I head out to the ANA show, the new VAMWorld wiki will be usable, and that I can get the vamworld.com domain transferred for both the wiki and the forum.

If you want to edit it, you will have to create an account on the Wiki, as it is separate from the message board. I highly recommend that you spend some time and effort learning about editing MediaWiki pages, since that's the platform being used. There is tons of online help for this and also MediaWiki test sandboxes you can play in, which I have mentioned earlier.
If you don't want to do edits, there will be no need to create another account. I will probably have the new wiki locked for edits until I'm fairly satisfied that I won't need to do large scale changes and re-import everything.

ChiefRet.

Post by ChiefRet. » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Do we need to delete or cancels our account on the old Wiki?
The reason I ask is they just charged me for another month.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm unaware of anyone ever being charged to sign up to simply use Wikispaces. Be that as it may, accounts there will be useless when they go away.

ChiefRet.

Post by ChiefRet. » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:02 pm

From what I understand, I had to, to be able to post on the old site?
I will delete my account and see if that works.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:39 pm

You had to have an account to post or edit, but you shouldn't have had to pay for it.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 pm

The old VAMWorld wiki has been locked. No further editing will be possible there. I hope to have the new one up and running by August 15.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for the update.