restore or delete

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
bob259

Re: restore or delete

Post by bob259 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Without taking sides I just don't get it. I thought VAMWorld was a site for Vammers to learn and access valuable information concerning VAMS. Seems like any and all pictures would be welcome. They are just pictures of Silver Dollars, not like some awesome nature shot. I am a photographer who has thousands of beautiful nature shots so I understand pride in one's photography but pics of coins, I don't get it.

I get frustrated when I see a recently discovered VAM by someone who posts often and there are no full coin pictures on the new site. It would seem that we should all be putting up pictures of new VAMs. If one needs help with pictures many here can help. We should all be helping the best we can to build this site by putting pictures up and again, if you need help, ask.

Mhomei

Post by Mhomei » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Bob
great question

The style I chose to document varieties
Is not size friendly on the new VW 2.0 according to them.

My style was within all requirements of old VW1

So when SSDC posted the new photo requirements before the migration to the new VW2 I realized that my photo comps were going to get reduced in size.
I requested at that time for my photo comps not be migrated.

SSDC still migrated them and smashed them down in size to meet there new requirements.

And now the SSDC refuses to fix or delete.

Since VW2 is now operable and can be edited by anyone that joins, people are blowing the pictures up. Which does not improve the quality, it only makes it worse and more unrecognizable.

I am simply asking for the SSDC to restore or delete them.

All my original works will be available online
Somewhere online If deletion is the chosen option.

If restore is the option all will be good
And I will start the process them properly
for the new site as time permits.
A option I was never given for migration

We are talking about a lot of comps

Mhomei

Post by Mhomei » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Professional quality LFCP's are very time consuming and are not currently be actively done by contributing members. That I know of.

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Where is John Austin and Ron Hagler and Scott Hamilton at? I would like to get their opinions on this matter.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Again, resampling or rescaling is not an adaptation, regardless of how much boldface you use. As I said earlier, I will delete these when I get around to it, but it is not a high priority for me. I will also say, again, that if there's anyone who wants to break up the original composites (which is not an adaptation), let me know and I'll give guidance for this.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

raynat3

Post by raynat3 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I am lost. Some of the folks that are upset about modifying photos posted, Have themselves resized, combined, put text within the photo area and deleted other folks photos based on their own thought of what is best or looks good to them.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:26 pm

A photographer, legalese aside, may not upload for fear of putting their signature at risk. The evolving message of this thread may deter uploads. Recruiting members to take apart another member's creative works appears provocative.
Last edited by LorenAlbert on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm

This thread is actually getting humorous. Gotta luv the benefits and pitfalls of an open wiki. I agree however with Ray.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 am

Please make Mitch happy. I am sure he has his reasons.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 am

DAMN KIDS, SETTLE THIS... DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO PULL THIS CAR OVER!!
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Well sometimes you have to pull over. That way you can think about what you have to do!!!!! Is it the right move or did you make a bad one?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:02 am

crabscrape wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 pm
Well sometimes you have to pull over. That way you can think about what you have to do!!!!! Is it the right move or did you make a bad one?
Waiting for someone to take me up on an offer I made twice.

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 am

John, I don't know about taken you up on a offer?? I see where somebody asked something and one thing lead to another. All I know from what I see in Vamming is the old Kenny Rogers song: You got to know when to hold them, Know when to fold them, Know when to walk away, know when to run!
From the time I been into this {before Vamworld 1} a lot of folks have left and its Sad! I see a lot of them selling vams left and right. They will never get out what they spent in the Vams and they are seeing it Now! Invest in Gold you can't go wrong!!

Mhomei

Post by Mhomei » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 am

I am also waiting for action!!!! by the admin (John B.) or Ash (President of the SSDC)

Since JB continues this quest to not follow his CC protection it will cost the SSDC for each photo and each occurance.
and the right to cover the material on site with a CC LICENSE.

Everbody please know that the financial cost of this could have been avoided and it is a shame the members at the SSDC are the ones who will pay since the membership dues is the source of cash for the SSDC. I do apologize for that but we cannot let admins run amokwith no consequences after 4 warnings.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:03 am

LorenAlbert wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:26 pm
A photographer, legalese aside, may not upload for fear of putting their signature at risk. The evolving message of this thread may deter uploads. Recruiting members to take apart another member's creative works appears provocative.

Being a pretty good photographer myself, are we really saying a picture of a coin is a work of creative art? I'm sorry, I don't get it and I guess I'm in with the crowd that thinks this thread is actually getting humorous.

Mhomei

Post by Mhomei » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Glad this thread is amusing you!

I was clear what John wanted to do before migration and I politely asked him to not migrate my comps.

I have also been patient and now I have asked for the 4th time to either restore or delete.

Obviously he won't do it for whatever reason.

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am

Here's a solution to consider that JB and I talked about last year, before things got real busy. I shared this with Mitch on Feb 23, but he didn't reply. I think it's a win-win that meets everybody's desires. Just requires a little work (and volunteers).

First, I will repeat what I opened the PM with: "Mitch, your photos are too valuable of an asset to lose from VAMWorld." True.

The compromise involves lossless splitting up of the original composites, and replacement of the reduced composites on the current page. This solution:
  • retains 100% of the image integrity
  • including overlays i the image (e.g. photographer's name)
  • views and scrolls well on mobile devices
  • shows a little better on the web due to WikiMedia features like packed gallery mode
I worked from the full-res source files from VAMWorld 1.0, which I had mirrored as you're all tired of hearing by now ;). After splitting images for tests, things got real busy, and efforts were put on hold.

In the end, there were 75 files, and JB was thinking of a script to make uploading them easier. Then things got real busy again (no complaints please), so I didn't follow up with JB.

After Mitch started this post on Feb 23, I updated a couple VAM pages to beta test the splits for him and PM'ed him to make him aware. (no response - maybe my inbox was full) Here are the two pages with test images:
1885-P_VAM-1G
1885-P_VAM-1A2
I'm not very good with page edits and gallery mode settings, and intentionally made the default size BIG for Mitch's approval. But smaller presentation size may be better, knowing that clicking on any one image provides the full size big image. I think you can imagine how it'd look if a professional like Andy or Wayne implemented the full res splits on the updates.
For reference, 1885-P_VAM-1B contains one of the reduced composites.
And I see Loren found a way to update 1885-P_VAM-1A1 with a full res original comp.

The only drawback is that someone needs to manually select and split the images. This mini sample project I did for JB took a little while. Just the 15 pages below generated 75 images (more than 4 hours to make the files). I had an estimate of "time per page" I sent to JB in the email last year, but maybe the process could be automated too.

If this can be accepted as a solution, then it's just a matter of time and volunteers to migrate Mitch's images over the next few months or year. The images are too precious to lose, and it would be nice to satisfy everyone, including us resolution junkies.

So what do you think - is it a good compromise? Could we get a few volunteers? I can share the finer points of the mundane process I optimized and made more efficient with anyone willing to help.

For reference, the test split images have been created for (the only pages updated with them are listed above):
1880-P_VAM-54, 1885-P_VAM-1A1, 1885-P_VAM-1A2, 1885-P_VAM-1B, 1885-P_VAM-1C, 1885-P_VAM-1D, 1885-P_VAM-1E, 1885-P_VAM-1F, 1885-P_VAM-1G, 1885-P_VAM-1I, 1885-P_VAM-1J, 1885-P_VAM-1K, 1885-P_VAM-1L, 1885-P_VAM-1O, 1885-P_VAM-1P.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:57 am

UncleGildy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am
If this can be accepted as a solution, then it's just a matter of time and volunteers to migrate Mitch's images over the next few months or year. The images are too precious to lose, and it would be nice to satisfy everyone, including us resolution junkies.

So what do you think - is it a good compromise? Could we get a few volunteers? I can share the finer points of the mundane process I optimized and made more efficient with anyone willing to help.
Thanks for bringing this up again. This is my preferred solution for reasons already stated. Another benefit we would realize is that doing this will make it possible to create pages that are "mug books" that would allow an easy visual search for a match for one feature, such as the date position, lines in LIBERTY, the eagle's wing-neck gap, or the ribbon bow. I actually looked into algorithms that could automate this, but it looks like I'd have to develop it myself.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 pm

And I see Loren found a way to update 1885-P_VAM-1A1 with a full res original comp.
The current 1885-P_VAM-1A1 page is not a full resolution original image. I was experimenting with compression without changing pixel resolution. The compression was the minimum required to "sneak" the image in under the upload restriction.
I did this to test the viability of a subversive solution. The current page is not in the spirit of VW20 restrictions. Further, I did not have permission from mhomei to process (dumb down) his original photograph. This page needs to be reverted to Wayne's version:
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compu ... ldid=72521
My apologies to mhomei for altering his original photograph. My intention was for this to be a temporary page. I would appreciate it if someone (Andy, Wayne) would revert the page to Wayne's version linked above. Or, eventually, I will figure out how to revert the page myself. I have not been active on the VW20 Wiki for a while. Loren
(I do not wish to step into a hornet's nest, but if mhomei PMs a request for me to delete the current image without replacing with the SSDC low resolution image; I will do so.)

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Sorry Loren. I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong. I should have said "someone".

The page is useful as it allows a mobile device user to view what it would be like if the old composite were used at near full size, without splitting it up.