Question

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
raynat3

Question

Post by raynat3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:06 am

Why is it necessary when I make changes to the 83–0 page for folks to come behind and change them?

LateDateMorganGuy

Re: Question

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:13 am

Because it is an open wiki and they can. Personally, I would defer page edits to the guy who did a die study and would hope if folks think something is wrong, that they contact the die study guy before making changes. But hey, that's just me.

raynat3

Post by raynat3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 am

I get the open forum, wastes my time. It looks like someone has completed the die study also, I wonder who did, I have some questions for them on several listings!!

RMG1883CC

Post by RMG1883CC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:28 am

Have any specific examples Ray ??
Many folks edit pages at their own level of understanding of what the results will be. Sometimes what is actually coded may cause issues most CANNOT see or understand. There are only a few active EDIT Junkies at it on this new VW2.0. And myself in semi-retirement of editing know the guys active and do very much TRUST their capabilities and judgments. If they do make an error it's fixable for sure.
To you JUNKIES -- THANKS FOR ALL THE EFFORT ;)
Those guys work hard whenever they are needed,,,,,,,,,,

TEAMWORK makes the DREAM WORK !!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:41 am

raynat3 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 am
I get the open forum, wastes my time. It looks like someone has completed the die study also, I wonder who did, I have some questions for them on several listings!!
If there is a lot to fix, let me know, and I'll lock the page down so it can be done. All large scale modifications of a date page for which a die study has been done should be coordinated with the person having done the die study, so they can make sure it's done right. Also, do not save every little change if you are going to make many changes. Use the preview button to make sure things look right, then save once.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Mhomei

Post by Mhomei » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 am

I understand your frustration Ray

I asked that all my 85 P pages and pictures from my study to be left as is before the migration even happened and instead they We're beat down to a useless size.

But it's not the content or quality anymore it is who you know.

But they like you Ray so your stuff can get fixed.

weth

Post by weth » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 am

I guess this is a good thread in which to admit that recently I successfully signed up for editing privileges on VW2.0 and feel Drunk With Power. I've starting by editing the 83P pages here and there. Please let me know if anything looks amiss or should be amended.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:11 am

raynat3 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 am
Huh?? What die study?
A common buzz phrase - "Unsustainable?" If the people who are doing the work are restricted to people who know what they are doing; nothing will get done.

For the 1883-O listing page, click the history link. It seems that four people have worked on the page since VW20 came on line. Two of the four are one time edits. A PM might have avoided a thread that discourages all future potential editors. Then again, if the SSDC truly wants to end the Wiki format; then just do it. Put the final nail into the coffin.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 am

This debate has been going on since I joined in 2006. It will continue to go on. I call it the beauty and the beast of an open wiki. This thread too shall pass, but will be resurrected sometime in the future in a different thread.

But if folks think there is not bad info on some of the pages, you would be wrong. That is the beast side. The beauty is that there is a lot of good info that outweighs the bad.

raynat3

Post by raynat3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 am

Examples of what rmg1883cc?

I suppose the junkies won’t mind if I start modifying pages they have put time in because I think I have a better way. Right??

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 am

raynat3 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 am
Examples of what rmg1883cc?
I suppose the junkies won’t mind if I start modifying pages they have put time in because I think I have a better way. Right??
Ray, without a revision comparison link, it is hard to follow what you are reacting to. Rmg1883cc has pretty much quit editing altogether. I have made less than a handful of edits since VW20 came on line. The migration was not a 1 to 1 transfer. I don't know if you are reacting to something that may have been unavoidable. Although I have never thought that a standardized format was a good idea, I am in a minority in this regard. The migration, for those who believe in a standard format, forced changes in the format. Again, overall, I think striving for a standard format is a mistake. And it seems that an insistence on a standard format is probably what inspired you to start this thread. I doubt that there is any malicious intent. And I doubt that anyone has intentionally altered the content of your work. Although I don't have a statistic, I bet that 95% of the editing on VW20 is done by fewer than 6 people. However many, I don't think VW can go much lower.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 am

If people really want to contribute to the wiki, there is much more to be gained by contributing to the content than layout. As has been mentioned, while most of the info is really good, there is plenty that is not. Find it and correct it. Yes, it's more difficult than other changes, but it has a far bigger payoff. If you need help or a peer review (highly recommended), ask for it. Conveniently, we have a message board where you can.

tbconcrete

Post by tbconcrete » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:46 pm

weth wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 am
I guess this is a good thread in which to admit that recently I successfully signed up for editing privileges on VW2.0 and feel Drunk With Power. I've starting by editing the 83P pages here and there. Please let me know if anything looks amiss or should be amended.
Am I to understand that all members can NOT edit pages ? Do I need to special " Editing Privileges " To add to the 78S Pages. Also noticed many credits for added pictures were missing on many 78S Pages.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:57 pm

tbconcrete wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:46 pm
weth wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 am
Am I to understand that all members can NOT edit pages ? Do I need to special " Editing Privileges " To add to the 78S Pages. Also noticed many credits for added pictures were missing on many 78S Pages.
If you want to edit pages, then you have to sign up for an account on the wiki. That's it.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Loren, feel like I have to do a little record straightening here (not meant to disrespect anyone)...
Ray has been working on the 83-O's for the bigger part of a decade now (he was Nate's mentor...).
Just thought you should know.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?