Crackin’ Slabs & Resubmitting Stories

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Brabjohn

Crackin’ Slabs & Resubmitting Stories

Post by Brabjohn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Wanted to here some of the stories out there on Vam’s that were deemed undergraded and had to be resubmitted multiple times to finally get the grade you were looking for.

DHalladay

Re: Crackin’ Slabs & Resubmitting Stories

Post by DHalladay » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 pm

I strongly encourage you to read my article, "A very enlightening regrade experience" in issue #8 (June 2007) of VAMview Quarterly that is available to members on the SSDC website. All these years later, what I wrote about still amazes me.
When in doubt... don't.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 pm

You need to talk to Russ. It may take a few tries, but he always seems to get his grade eventually.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Pittstate03

Post by Pittstate03 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 am

I like these stories, here is one of mine.
The best one I have is probably a 79-CC (Not capped) GSA NGC MS63 I received as part of a huge trade about 4 years ago. I tried to sell it for prices that other GSA’s has brought but had no luck. I sent it to great collections and it never sold for what I asked.
After I got it back from GC I took it to some shows and didn’t have much luck. A dealer that I do a lot of business with said “that is nicer than a 63, send it in again.” I started looking at it closer and agreed. I was consumed with everything else, I don’t think I ever looked at it that close. I steamed the GSA band off carefully and removed the rest. I express submitted it to NGC and a day after received the grade posted, MS64.
I ended up selling it for about $3000 more than I was asking for it in the MS63 holder.

If you have never read Michael Bugeja‘a articles on coin update, you should. He would write articles about crossovers and crack outs which I really enjoyed. His last was in April and I don’t know what happened, but I wish he would write and share some more experiences.
Thanks

Brabjohn

Post by Brabjohn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:14 am

I’ll definitely look into those stories. I love hearing stories of this nature. Just goes to show that some see a tpg holder as the final resting place for a valuable coin but for some it’s just the start.
I have quick story to mention. I had a nice 1900-O Vam 15 in an ngc ms64 holder. Always thought it needed a trip for a regrade as the eye appeal was killer and one day I cracked it out and sent it in. Came back as an ms63 at ngc, wrong direction from my eye. So I tried pcgs, came back a 65. With the regrade and attribution fees it wasn’t a big win but it was my first real experience with the subjective nature of grading. Which is just one more reason to enjoy the hunt.
Any more stories out there? I’d love to hear them!

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:03 am

my story is about an 1884-CC... First CC I ever bought. I submitted it 5 TIMES before it graded, in between those subs
I had the chance to show it to Ash "The Godfather" Harrison and he said it should grade. The cost of the subs equaled far more than the value of the coin, but it did come back (finally) in a PCGS 64 holder. My advice: If you believe in the coin, don't give up until you get the grade you want or find someone who can tell you exactly what the issue is with it. I'll share another story of a 1927 Peace dollar some other time...

Vam-mysterio

Post by Vam-mysterio » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am

At one point pcgs (I think)
Was buying the crack out certificates
At $1 each
I wonder if they still do...

ashmore86

Post by ashmore86 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:20 pm

I have an abundance of stories. I have learned some really valuable lessons. Some are:

1. Don't EVER crack out a coin that you can't afford to have come back in a body bag;
2.You can get just as good a result leaving the coin, regardless of its current grade, in the holder and submitting it. Even if the coin is graded cleaned.
3. If the coin has something on it that must come off, and it is not vitally important the coin remain in its current state of grading, then you can crack it out.
4. You will almost certainly do better on average grade wise if you have your coins graded at the tier they belong. For instance, don't send a 14.19 in for economy grading.

I could go on and on...

Ash

ashmore86

Post by ashmore86 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Oh, and the big one...JUST WHEN you think you have it all figured out, it will change.

Pittstate03

Post by Pittstate03 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:27 pm

A lot of money in these...gained or loss it can be a wild ride. Most were crossovers.

I really need to send these in.
Attachments
forum 2.jpeg
forum 2.jpeg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
forum 3.jpeg
forum 3.jpeg (162.68 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Forum 1.jpeg
Forum 1.jpeg (172.22 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

hairfield1

Post by hairfield1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am

Holy Crap Batman!!!!!!!!!!

What a collection of "CRACKIN"

Kevinslack

Post by Kevinslack » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Your the one with all those 1879s rev78 I talked to you last night about a guy who was trying to sell me one of your coins, from coin talk. His user name was *Coins did you contact him to let him know that coin was yours.

ashmore86

Post by ashmore86 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Yep, you are addicted to crack-in,

All for the right reasons though.

you really should send them in though.

ah

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 pm

I have bags of cereals by grading company , from crackouts and crossovers. One day I will give them to each grading company so they can clear their pops.

Pareidoliac

Post by Pareidoliac » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 am

Been submitting and being disappointed in poor grades and “details” for three decades. Once submitted a beautifully toned PL Morgan to a TPG that sent it back “artificially frosted”. Sat on it a long time tempted to sell it as labeled for next to nothing. Finally, I broke it out and sent it to another TPG. Came back high grade DMPL. Sold it the instant it was advertised at the premium it was worth. Too often I see coins in TPG holders and scratch my head wondering how they got that high grade. PCGS is no exception. I think some folks get better grades, by and large, than others. Large firms, folks with special relationships with TPGs, etc. Why should the world of coin grading be any different than every other world. In other words, it’s often who you know and how much business your relationship is worth.

I also frequently wondered if some unscrupulous folks at TPGs ran side businesses intentionally undergrading some coins or assigning details like “artificially frosted” or “environmental damage” then buying those same slabs when they hit the internet at a fraction of their true value. Having said that, I believe President Kennedy’s assassin was Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone and that 911 was a terrorist attack, not an inside U.S. government job. Nevertheless, I have no trouble subscribing to a theory whereby dishonesty and greed conspire to cheat unwitting collectors out of hundreds or thousands of dollars. I don’t know for sure, and maybe the CIA or KGB or LBJ was behind Kennedy’s death, but I never underestimate the cleverness of crooks.

JohnGoldsmith

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:35 am

Before I got into VAM's and had my Unc. set. I would use two coins as bait. They where PQ coins and today would be considered a double plus. Also the price was ten fold if they went up a grade. I would crack them out and send in them in with my upgrade coin. Nine out of ten times it worked. Last one that I recall, 1885 CC MS64, came back MS65.

JohnGoldsmith

Post by JohnGoldsmith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 am

ashmore86 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:20 pm
I have an abundance of stories. I have learned some really valuable lessons. Some are:

4. You will almost certainly do better on average grade wise if you have your coins graded at the tier they belong. For instance, don't send a 14.19 in for economy grading.
Ash
My 14.19 when I sent it in, I put a price tag of 10K on the coin.

morganman

Post by morganman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm

One such story; I selectively bought 10 common 1880 s'1881 s Anacs
yellow/gold holders high grade ms66/66pl. All ebay- selected coins
that looked super black mirrored

7 went PL or dmpl 4 dmpl 3 pl - increased value by several thousand$$
so i continue to buy examples that seem heavily mirrored. Just got 30
more back that were all top 3 TPG =PCGS/NGC/ANACS- 21 upgraded
pl or dmpl. one was a 1880 s Anacs 66 that went PCGS 67pl
Anacs is to conservative on PL & for sure dmpl. It screws the submitter
and opens door for speculator /investor. Guess every TPG has its issues