coin collecting app

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
titushenry

coin collecting app

Post by titushenry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:34 am

Anyone use or recommend a good app for keeping an inventory of coins on an iPhone? I've been using CoinVault for a couple years but it has some annoying faults and I am looking into trying a different app to keep track of my Morgans. Any other ideas for keeping an inventory on an iPhone would be appreciated too.

HawkeEye

Re: coin collecting app

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:35 am

Over the years purchased and tried every available program for my PC. After all those tries I finally decided to try my own using MS Access. This worked but was a pain to maintain. So I have come around to using Excel and I think it is the best answer since it is easily customizable to your needs. I don't know if it is available for iPhone but if so it might be your best bet.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:43 pm

You can also set up in Google Docs and customize it yourself. Not sure if you can do it on your phone or if there is even an app for Google Docs.
Also, Heritage Auctions you can set up a coin portfolio and keep track of your collection.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

My experience is similar to HawkeEye's. I've installed and quickly uninstalled many trial versions of stuff, wrote my own software, and wrote some software with Access. Now I mostly use PCGS's "My Inventory," which is part of their registry. It accepts any coin, raw or graded.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:50 pm

I use PCGS app's too. Works just fine.

andywoj00

Post by andywoj00 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I picture all my coins obv/rev and keep track of them on Excel. Backed up in several different places....gun-shy about data loss....Andrew

RMG1883CC

Post by RMG1883CC » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:02 am

I developed a few ways myself using WORD, but like Andy, about 4 other different formats on different storage places. Which is most important to me, so 5 or 6 Formats verify each other.

shortnock

Post by shortnock » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Use Word program on Mac, hereabouts....happy with it.
Refrain from computing the total number of poultry... before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 am

I use an intranet (private) Wiki. If you are starting from scratch, you might look at Zim Notes. Zim works fine as a stand alone on Windows or Linux.

titushenry

Post by titushenry » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:25 am

Thanks all for the input! Thankfully, I have copies of my inventory on my laptop and in an old fashioned accounting book so I can play around with options on my phone. Was hoping for a quick and easy format to use while I am looking at new coins to try and avoid duplicates.

BTW thanks to everyone responsible for taking on the project of getting 2.0 up and running.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Using "Tables" in a word processing program is the way I do it. I can customize and change it without losing any entries. Don't know if you can create a table in your phone but that might work.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:03 am

I am also gun shy about data loss and for that reason I find Excel very easy. I tried the PCGS site and it works fine and has the advantage of updating prices. But in the case of VAMs they do not track prices and if I have to do them manually I want to stick with Excel. Then there is the exposure of your collection to PCGS or the web. I just decided that private trumped public in this sticky issue.

I also have built some relatively complex charts and aggregate spreadsheets that allow me to instantly update intrinsic values and charts and I could not find any purchase program that would come close. Excel now has some features that overlap ACCESS and one of my goals for this year is to get into them more.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

For someone starting from scratch using an Office solution, I recommend giving LibreOffice a try. I use both MS Office and LibreOffice. Strangely, LibreOffice, because of the filters, is, in some cases, more compatible with versions of MS Office than is MS Office itself. Not only is the price right, but for some things, LibreOffice is the better package. Plus, LibreOffice bridges Linux with MS compatibility.