O/T... Who Knew About this?!

Post by CascadeChris » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

And how many Long Nocks do you think could get by the NGC team :lol:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins ... -sale.html
Alonzi VW 2.0!

vampicker

Re: O/T... Who Knew About this?!

Post by vampicker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Betting the real stars of this hoard are the toners. Just never know what is still lurking out there. Several of those dates have some significant VAMs. A small batch of 89 VAM 23A examples would be fun...
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 pm

I wonder what 1878s beauties show up...and those 1889 vam23a, and 1886 v20's...

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:41 pm

My thoughts exactly. I've had one opportunity to look at about a dozen toners directly from a recently unsealed bag. They were all neon monsters to varying degrees with 2 being true mega monsters. It was an awesome experience.

JR, I guess Jeff doesn't think that at least one bag should be auctioned off as-is. Or maybe that hasn't been decided yet and omitted in the article?.. Dont you think a mint-sealed 81s bag would bring more than the sum of it's possible parts today? I know that if I had FU money a sealed bag of 81s (or any really) would be mine, no matter the cost.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

messydesk
Site Admin

16,000 coin Morgan hoard

Post by messydesk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm

vampicker wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 pm
Betting the real stars of this hoard are the toners. Just never know what is still lurking out there. Several of those dates have some significant VAMs.
There'll be some toners and some 66-67s that'll steal the show. The rest will be bulk graded in promotional holders. Some VAM collectors will probably be able to get eyes on them to get a feel for what the distribution of die marriages is. I don't know if anyone at NGC will take the initiative to look into it.
A small batch of 89 VAM 23A examples would be fun...
Not for anyone who paid up to own one.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Prider358

Post by Prider358 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm

What a great find.
Excuse me everyone, I'm new to this new site and this is my first attempt at posting a reply.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Can't imagine a bag of 81-S would be greater than the sum of its parts from a VAM standpoint. But a 78-S or 89 Philly bag might be a different story. High grades and killer toners are the draw as several have noted. The days of trading in bags was something I missed, and the few remaining are solidly out of my rent district now.
Finding a few new examples of a rarity like the 23A usually doesn't kill the value, but yeah, there is a tipping point for what the market will absorb before the price falls off sharply
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 pm

vampicker wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Can't imagine a bag of 81-S would be greater than the sum of its parts from a VAM standpoint. But a 78-S or 89 Philly bag might be a different story. High grades and killer toners are the draw as several have noted. The days of trading in bags was something I missed, and the few remaining are solidly out of my rent district now.
Finding a few new examples of a rarity like the 23A usually doesn't kill the value, but yeah, there is a tipping point for what the market will absorb before the price falls off sharply
I think this happened to some degree with the 83-O VAM 22. I'm not sure if it was a bunch that turned up in a bag or just in a few rolls. The problem with finding a rarity in an original bag would be that it probably wouldn't be a lone sample, but rather a couple hundred coins. Now, an ultra-cool ultra-rarity like 89 VAM 23A wouldn't totally tank because of this, and could plausibly be promoted, made more popular, and become more valuable. A half bag of 81-S VAM 54B or 1B would probably not fare as well.

bigjayvee

Post by bigjayvee » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am

Good read!!! Problem is when ever I enter the link and finish reading,can't get back to forum.Back arrow leaves page blank. Any one else having this problem ?

raynat3

Post by raynat3 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Im sure all of us would love to go through a bag like one of these. Pretty cool for sure. I still see bu rolls of dates the have one or two die varieties a few times a year. I would think there are a lot more rolls put away that came from bags out there still to be seen.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Damn! would have loved to see them all!

rhodes6467

Post by rhodes6467 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am

bigjayvee wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am
Problem is when ever I enter the link and finish reading,can't get back to forum.Back arrow leaves page blank.
It may be the way your browser is set up. You might have it set to clear history as you go.

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I was thinking the same EXACT thing JR!!!!

AND

Looks like there wont be any "new" 31A's in there either...LOL

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 pm

bigjayvee wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am
Good read!!! Problem is when ever I enter the link and finish reading,can't get back to forum.Back arrow leaves page blank. Any one else having this problem ?
Yes. I need to figure out what the deal is with browser history.

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:47 pm

bigjayvee wrote: ↑Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am

I can't figure out HT get that reply to specific comment thing to work...LOL

Anyway, I see your issue JB. I commented in the scarface thread about it. I got a BIG RED UNSECURE in my browser window. I would start with the sites security certificate, otherwise, the issues will compound and domino on us, moving forward....IMHO anyway, but what do I know...

The lack of a valid Certificate for this "UNSECURE Site, is the issue.

Please update and verify/validate this sites certificate, and that should fix these security related connection issue.

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm

For Mac Users experiencing these issues, like me:

Open Safari
Look to  Top Left, Safari just right, then File

So:

 Safari File

Click File>
Click New PRIVATE WINDOW

Then you can set up and sign into the board. Private browsing inhibits unsecure sites from tracking and using data from your machine, in Safari anyway. The browser is protecting you from the site you are trying to visit, because of the security it does NOT have.

NOTE: You will have to open the private browsing window to access this site and it will not save auto login creds.

Albannach

Post by Albannach » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm

No reg edits on MAC OS...

:shock:

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:30 pm

I'll look into the certificate stuff tonight.