O/T Taxman

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
vamnuke

O/T Taxman

Post by vamnuke » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 pm

Has something changed on eBay? My last two coin (not bullion) transactions have had sales tax added; in one case neither the dealer state nor the state being shipped to require sales tax on coins.

The other case, the state of sale has 7%, but get charged 8%. State being shipped to does not require tax. Has something changed? I don’t like finding out my purchase is a lot higher than I thought🤬.
Last edited by vamnuke on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lured_in_again

Re: O/T Taxman

Post by lured_in_again » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Effective a couple years ago, my state does not charge tax on silver or gold - coins or bullion. I noticed Ebay was charging tax on my purchases late last year and inquired about it. Was told I needed a business tax form filled out. Argued it with them over a few months and was able to get refunds for tax collected on my purchases (through a long drawn out process) As far as I know Ebay still has not changed their coding in their system to keep tax exempt purchases from being taxed.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 pm

So WHO reaps the reward of the extra $$ paid?? Especially when neither state requires, does the seller get a hidden profit? :evil:

lured_in_again

Post by lured_in_again » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 pm

Ebay told me it gets sent to the purchasers state and could also be claimed through them. I contacted the state and was told I could file to get it back from the state if Ebay wouldn't return it. It looks to me like unless one makes an issue of it the state still collects it. I asked Ebay to put an exemption on my account, but they said they can't do it due to items being listed under different categories.... antiques, silver, collectibles, etc... or just flat out in the wrong heading by the seller. It's a royal pain in the "Joe"

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:06 am

Well did some more looking and it looks like state where I’ve had recent purchases sent (different from legal residence) DOES add 8%. Shame on me. Oh well. No more purchases sent there… :roll:

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:35 am

Tomorrow will make it exactly one year since Ohio dropped the sales tax on coins composed of precious metals. EBay is still collecting sales tax. Think the company or the state actually care?
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

sheatown1

Post by sheatown1 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:17 am

I got charged sales tax but in Penna. no tax on coins nor tax on S & H if package was non taxable. I wrote EBAY twice & they reduced my payment for sales tax but not for S & P. I paid the 27 cents tax but I'll never do business with the vendor again due to his disinterest when I contacted him for his help to correct.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:07 pm

The seller doesn't influence anything ebay does regarding taxes. I live in Oregon with no sales tax but when I sell coins the buyer often gets charged sales tax from his state not mine. If your state doesn't charge for coins you need to address it when you see it on the invoice from ebay. Call them up right away and say, Hey, my state doesn't charge for coins. It is all a pain in the ass and I believe unfair to everyone, buyer and seller. One thing you don't want to let happen is for ebay to charge sales tax for both states, buyer's and seller's. I'm not sure how that works but I do know when I buy stuff I don't pay sales tax for anything since I live in Oregon. But don't you worry the tax man gets me through the income tax in Oregon.

Bigbub

Post by Bigbub » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:13 pm

This is all the result of the Wayfair vs South Dakota decision in 2018. Wayfair sued to prevent sales tax collection in states where they had no physical presence under 1967’s Bellas Hess and 1992 Quill cases, where the Supreme Court had already held that states could not require an out-of-state catalog company or no state presence to collect sales tax under Article I section 10.

The Supreme Court disagreed in a 5-4 decision with the majority opinion, written by Kennedy and joined by Thomas, Alito, Ginsburg, and Gorsuch, determined that the physical-presence rule of Quill was "unsound and incorrect" and overruled it, along with National Bellas Hess v. Illinois (parts of which Quill had already overturned).

People were rightly confused about the overturning with respect to Article I section 10 banning states from taxing in other states, but no liberals anywhere complained about the court's ruling or that democracy was irreparably harmed.

morganman

Post by morganman » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:51 pm

Well like many other coin folks i personally got dammed tired of the Flea Bay
Beauracracy, and super red tape surrounding any customer service etc.
Then another gazillion frustrating rules/operating procedures, not to mention seller &
paypal fees. Flea bay became a buyers venue yrs ago with sellers really unable to mkt
coins over say $500 as good dealers all quit due to chargebacks & many other restrictive
rules and lack of proper customer support.

So now to avoid total frustration i love doing business with Heritage both buying & selling
No charge to seller on consignments and best customer service in industry IMHO.
The time & pain to list etc on Ebay is enough to drive one away from using them

I cant wait until i sell all my coins and say good riddens to this madness
Super done in Oregon
:|