Any experience buying rolls on ebay?

Post advertisements for direct or eBay sales, want lists, and items for trade here
Forum rules
Commercial posts may be made here. Group all coin sales under a single thread. Please edit your posts after selling items to keep this board cleaned up. Do not post your phone number or address here, for security reasons.
UncleGildy

Any experience buying rolls on ebay?

Post by UncleGildy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:53 am

Any experience buying rolls on ebay like this?

I keep getting distracted by these listings and wonder if they're just like the wheat cent rolls I've bought in the past. The ends get your hopes up, but it turns out that everything in the middle so common, that it's obvious they were sorted.

Looks like they go for about 1600 or $80/Morgan.
Last edited by UncleGildy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morganman

Re: Any experience buying rolls on ebay

Post by morganman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:46 am

I have experience over the yrs and my advisr is run for exits before you
get creamed. A real long time roll seller (hsturn) actually tells you their not
good for grading, Thats because something is wrong- I sent 100 of his to
NGC and 85 came back not gradable with no explaination
Ngc could not determine why????

the rolls with cc at end are sorted and bidders pay crazy prices/unwarrented
Just personal experiences/IMHO
:|

UncleGildy

Re: Any experience buying rolls on ebay?

Post by UncleGildy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks morganman,

That's great info. Very helpful. Assuming they're sorted culled or whatever, I wonder how they make the roll look genuine. Not that I really know what a 130 year old bank roll would look like, or if the Bullion and Exchange Bank of Carson City even existed. The art of making the coin roll look authentic is worth something, but not that much.

The listing I referenced never made any claims of not being sorted, but provide two signs of warning:
  • "These rolls have been pre-21 unc dollars" - How would they know this?
  • "Returned rolls that are opened or otherwise altered may be subject to an up to 50% restocking fee."
In the end, instead of throwing $10 out the window on that roll of common cents, I'd be throwing $1000 away.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 pm

If there was ever a roll like this that was not a scam, I am not aware of it, nor am I aware of anyone else who may have been aware of it. It could be stuffed with Ikes, leaving you with 2 Morgans and $18 in spending money.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Buy the coin, not the roll. :lol:
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

Pareidoliac

Post by Pareidoliac » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am

Yes, I bought a roll. My one and only experience. Looked exactly like the never opened brown paper bank roll in the listing. Carson City Bank. Nice CCs on both ends, only reverses showing; one DMPL. Inside two more CCs. All 83s and 84s. Four CCs total. Other 16 coins were high grade common dates. Among those, one Hot 50 and one Top 100. I will not recoup what I paid but may get close.

I would not do it again. I agree with previous comments that this is most likely a scam. I did some due diligence prior to bidding and saw posts like those here and a few that were neutral and a couple that were positive though the negative posts were in the majority. Nevertheless I took a gamble mainly because I had watched numerous rolls sold with multiple bidders. I reasoned that enough people were doing this to warrant giving it a try.

What I now think is that these are well orchestrated sales with some bidders working with the seller to raise interest and bid levels. I could be wrong. But I don’t think I’m wrong. In my roll there were no big prizes. Looking back, I don’t recall anyone ever saying he found a great coin in one of these rolls. I dont think you’ll find circulated dollars but you won’t find any buried treasure.

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:38 am

mmoj@ptd.net wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am
I did some due diligence prior to bidding and saw posts like those here and a few that were neutral and a couple that were positive though the negative posts were in the majority. Nevertheless I took a gamble mainly because I had watched numerous rolls sold with multiple bidders. I reasoned that enough people were doing this to warrant giving it a try.
This summed up my experience, except I was lucky enough to have you guys to check in with! You know, there's just enough out there to make you believe there's a chance it's not a scam.

I think your theory about the orchestrated bidding is very plausible! I could swear I've seen that happen other times on eBay. I have to laugh at myself though, when thinking about that 50% restocking fee. They were prepared and covering their bases well, as if they knew what would be coming. Like it's happened before. That should have been the biggest red flag. Collect $700, wrap it in another roll, and list it on eBay for the next sucker.

I'm glad to hear you at least got a couple nice VAMs, four CCs and the rest were good grade. I bet it would have been worse for me.

Well, it was a nice fantasy anyway.

Pareidoliac

Post by Pareidoliac » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:17 pm

I believe the roll was sorted and repacked very expertly, seeding it with enough better quality dollars to avert suspicion. It could have been worse...the seller did not sort out the better VAMs. So in getting four lower grade mint state CCs and two decent VAMs, I was a fortunate fool. Even so, I violated my own common sense rule: If it looks or sounds too good to be true, it probably is.