Great Collections web site

Post advertisements for direct or eBay sales, want lists, and items for trade here
Forum rules
Commercial posts may be made here. Group all coin sales under a single thread. All offers to sell must include a price. Please edit your posts after selling items to keep this board cleaned up. Do not post your phone number or address here, for security reasons.
...kenny

Great Collections web site

Post by ...kenny » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 pm

I've never used these guys before. Do they accept VSS attribution? Any insite as to how they work? Thanks... :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DHalladay

Re: Great Collections web site

Post by DHalladay » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Unfortunately they do not accept VSS-attributed coins for consignment.
Aside from that they are a total pleasure to work with.
When in doubt... don't.

pup_picker

Post by pup_picker » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:39 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm
Aside from that they are a total pleasure to work with.
that's been my experience.

...kenny

Post by ...kenny » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 pm

What do I do if the coin is a set coin but not AOH? Thanks... :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my.........Ahh........Uhmm........something, something, something..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:15 pm

If it's not AOH then Great Collections will list it as simply the generic date. I don't know if they will leave the VSS sticker in place for potential bidders to see. Why not call them and ask?

I'm in this same position; I have several VSS-attributed VAMs to sell. They aren't high enough value to send to Heritage, so I guess I'm stuck with using eBay. :(
When in doubt... don't.

PickNGrin

Post by PickNGrin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi Kenny
I have used GC a lot. I have to give them two thumbs up. By far, the best company I have dealt with in selling my excess inventory. I have not had any luck selling coins thru them with VSS stickers. They have sent them back to me stating they could not list them. I have never called them to explain what the VSS sticker is....They may change their mind if they knew more about the sticker. Hope this helps.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:18 pm

On a different note, I have bought from them a bit. Over probably 10 years or so. No big time buyer but a little. I have nothing but good things to say. Good luck.🐍

weth

Post by weth » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:11 pm

PickNGrin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 pm
Hi Kenny
I have used GC a lot. I have to give them two thumbs up. By far, the best company I have dealt with in selling my excess inventory. I have not had any luck selling coins thru them with VSS stickers. They have sent them back to me stating they could not list them. I have never called them to explain what the VSS sticker is....They may change their mind if they knew more about the sticker. Hope this helps.

I agree with this. I don't often get the best selling price through Great Collections, but it's really easy to sell with them.

They will not list a coin with a VSS sticker. I sent one in as part of a group of coins, just to see what they would do, and my options were (1) have them remove the label and list the coin or (2) return the coin to me. I opted for #2. I tried to explain over the phone why the sticker added value, but was presented again with these two options. I think if you pushed it you could maybe get them to list it under the "Raw Collections & Lots" category, as they put all sorts of weird stuff there, but they won't list it under the Silver Dollar - Morgan category. Maybe if more people ask, they'll consider it...

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:16 am

I've bought from them with great results. Haven't tried to sell there.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:31 am

I've brought this up to them in the past, and eventually cited the Eagle Eye Indian cent attribution stickers that they do accept. Didn't hear anything back after that. It does interfere with where they'd put their sticker, but there are ways around that. Heritage put the coins in sleeves to preserve the stickers. All I can recommend is to keep putting pressure on GC to see the light.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 pm

I've had many good experiences with Great Collections.
They had a NGC label listed VAM that was mis-attributed. When I called Ian Russell, he took care of the problem immediately, in a way that was satisfying to both the buyer and sell.

Perhaps if enough of us contacted Great Collections and told them how trusted VSS is, they might consider a policy change.

https://youtu.be/XTHO47aew-E

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 pm

Years ago I bought a coin that came with a badly cracked slab. It was NGC I think but also had a CAC bean. I complained as they never mentioned it. They had me send it back and had it re-slabbed, same grade, and another green CAC bean. They were not happy but they did it. Now they always say if there is a slab problem.🐍