WOW coin

Post advertisements for direct or eBay sales, want lists, and items for trade here
Forum rules
Commercial posts may be made here. Group all coin sales under a single thread. All offers to sell must include a price. Please edit your posts after selling items to keep this board cleaned up. Do not post your phone number or address here, for security reasons.
dantvams

WOW coin

Post by dantvams » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Not my coin but one of my contacts has an 1878 8TF Morgan in a PCGS 30th Anniversary green label holder graded SP63 CAM for "Specimen" AND VAM-9 First Die Marriage AND with a CAC sticker to boot! The only one so labeled. Believed to be one of the first 10 1878 8TF Morgans struck! It's in PCGS slab number 25651575. Price is POR.

dantvams

Re: WOW coin

Post by dantvams » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Ron Guth's take from PCGS Coin Facts:

Ron Guth: Experts consider the 1878 VAM 9 to be the very first die pair used to strike Morgan Dollars, based on identification of a presentation piece once owned by President Rutherford B. Hayes. The reverse is distinctive due to an odd-shaped, diagnostic feather on the right side (viewer's side) of the eagle. The first ten or twelve examples (sources differ on the exact number) were struck from fresh dies on polished planchets. The resulting appearance is somewhere between a Deep Mirror Prooflike and a Proof. Two such examples were once owned by Leroy Van Allen, one of the authors of the popular VAM reference book. President Hayes' coin is held by the Rutherford B. Hayes Museum in Fremont, OH; unfortunately, that example has been described as having been polished multiple times. However, it was that very coin that proved the VAM 9 combination was the first die pair used to strike Morgan Dollars. Rarely do researchers have the opportunity to identify the exact date and time that a particular coin was struck.

keydates

Post by keydates » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:47 am

Set you message let me know if you received it.

larry

TheFinn2

Post by TheFinn2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 pm

WOW is right. Something I will always want.
"The Barbers can kiss my arse."

crit0069

Post by crit0069 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm

lol bad ass coin i'm trying find me a good vam 9 now